1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When the sub comes to rehearse...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    So, I'm not going to be in town for a big gig that's coming up for my band. I can't refund my plane tix, so we've booked a sub to fill my spot. He's a friend of my guitarist mainly, but I'd call him a friend of ours mutually.

Anyways, just wondering if you guys who've ever had someone sub for you - do you attend the rehearsals? Kinda akward, maybe?

We'll run through the set list with me on the bass (while he pays attention), and then he comes in and plays the set after me. He's a real pro musician. He's basically nailed my parts down perfectly (he's also roomates w/ my guitarist so they work on stuff together at home like key changes, etc).

I have been sticking around practice when he's up to bass, but trying to stay out of the way. I sit toward the back of the room and try not to be a huge distraction. I kind of rock out in the background (air drums, guitar, air vox, dancing, all that) - I can't help it - I love our music and my bands songs are my favorite songs to listen to, but I try not to get in the way or interrupt anything.

He'll ask me questions about certain parts after they go through 2 or 3 songs, but he's really getting it down nicely. I'm certainly not worried for the show.

I guess it kinda has me scared on a personal level, but it doesn't seem like he actually wants to take my spot. He aims to start his own project soon (on guitar), or so he's told me. He also mentioned he really digs my bass lines and has given many compliments on how challenging and fun they are to play.

Anyways, this is just an update from a thread I started a couple months ago about "fighting for my spot in the band" when I first found out he was doing the gig...I said some crappy stuff about how I'm awesome and I couldn't be replaced, but now I definitely take it back...

EVERYONE is replaceable, and I just wanted to let anyone know who thought I was kinda being a$$ that I was, and I eat my own words.

Thanks for reading!

2. Spinal-
    Your job was to help get the sub ready for the gig, and you did it. Don't worry about your spot in the band. You'll either keep it or you won't depending on how much you contribute to the band on a musical and personal level. Don't obsess about someone taking your spot as nothing good will come from it.

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm certainly over the worrying part. I've accepted that fate will decide who they keep and I have enough musician friends to start another project if that's the case. And I'd be taking their keyboard player with me...we're the only original 2 members left, luckily we're the songwriters too ;)

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    My regular sub is the bands previous bass player - he retired, but apprecicates being asked to fill in occasionally. Usually he's filling in for when I'm away for work, so if he does the rehersal before the gig I'm not there anyway. If I am around I ususally skip the rehersal - he doesn't need me looking over his shoulder, and don't need to be stressing about what he's getting right or wrong. The guitarist can help him through the parts anyway, so I just take a night off - better for me and better for him.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1. That's what I'm doing now until the gig...I've made sure he knows his stuff all last week, now it's his turn to get more comfortable with the parts and work on his dance moves :smug:

6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I always try to send a sub who's better than me if I can-he'll learn the music faster and probably has enough work already to make him uninterested in stealing my gig.

7. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    I got replaced by a "sub" who was a close friend of one of the other members when I had a preplanned vacation and missed a gig.

They were a bunch of butt-holes anyway.

Yeah, it happens.

8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've never had a sub fill-in for me. However, we've had a sub for our drummer a few times, and the bandmembers know that while we try to plan around schedules, if we get a short-notice gig that is important to the band that the band will use subs. When practicing for those kind of gigs our drummer does not attend.

If you have good subs and a "musical director" (the guitarrist in our case) who knows his stuff, then it should work out fine. I don't think awkwardness would be a problem in our band, but this way it's not even an issue, and the drummer gets an evening off.

NOTE: our band has an album, and concert recordings nad footage, so a prospective sub does have those kinds of learning aids as well.

9. i was originally a sub for my band and eventually took over the spot, but the guy wanted to spend more time with his family so it all worked out. I wouldn't be the bassist if he had decided otherwise.