When the universe doesn't want you to practice

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Dr. Love, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Due to an extremely light sleeping one year old I can't practice at home at night so I have to do it at another location.

I go there and start to play but there's a terrible buzzing. Some investigation leads to the endpin and reveals the small cork washer had fallen out of the endpin collar and it's rolling around inside the bass. I can fix that. I loosen the strings, take down the bridge, pull the endpin and while I'm fishing the washer out I hear a "thunk"...surprisingly, it was not the soundpost; the nut fell off the neck and dropped on the floor. Ok, I can fix that too.

I get the endpin back together and while sliding it back in, "thunk"...of course this time it's the soundpost. Ok, no problem, I have a setter. I lift up the bass so the post will roll back to where I can grab it and the endpin slides out onto the floor because I hadn't tightened the set screw. I slide it back in and the cork washer falls out inside the bass again.

I gave up and went home before anything else went wrong. My accomplishments for the evening: one hour, about 5 notes and a disassembled bass.

2. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Sounds like Murphy’s Law clearly in effect.

My parental advice is to continue to practice at home. The kiddo will get used to it ... eventually.

tonequixote and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Time to take up the kazoo (quietly).

4. Aldwyn

Aldwyn Old Musician, New to UB!

Jan 5, 2019
    Columbia, Maryland
    I am in the same boat... cleaning up the basement a few weeks ago, I managed to give myself 1 umbilical and 1 ventral hernias. Doc says dont lift anything over 10 pounds, and my surgery is scheduled for Aug 1. 6 weeks more of recovery where I cant lift anything over 10 pounds...

Guess what weighs more then 10 pounds?

I have tried playing the bass on its stand, but, it just feels weird like that...

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021