1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When to change strings and string recommendations

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Venturella, Feb 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Venturella

Venturella

Feb 10, 2016
    I play bass 4 to 6 hours everyday. I dont have any string that i always use in particular. Id say that my strings goes dull quite fast. (maybe a bout a week) When would you recommend to change my strings? Also, it would be great if you could suggest me some affordable taper wound 5 bass strings.

2. You can change strings whenever you want, some people leave them on for long time if they like the dull sound.
    Also, some strings will lose their brightness faster than others.

If you like the zing of new strings and want long lasting strings, I would recommend Dunlop Super Bright strings.
    They will retain their brightness for a long time.
    They feel flexible too so it's very easy to play.

Another good option is DR strings, although they are a bit more expensive.
    The DR long necks are taper wound if you must have tapers.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
  4. HandsFree

HandsFree

Dec 23, 2015
    Change strings before a performance (unless you prefer the 'old' sound). I wouldn't change them just for practise.

5. Change the strings when they no longer provide the sound that you want.

As regards replacements...I'm a four string flatwound guy. My advice wouldn't be germane.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey @Venturella you're new here. Welcome to TalkBass!

That being said, my advice is find another hobby. 4 to 6 hours a day??????

All kidding aside, playing that much every day will eventually lead to tendon problems, carpal tunnel or other complications. Unless you have been hired to tour with a huge label act and have only a month to learn 350 songs, relax and take breaks. Perhaps even go a day or two a week without playing at all.

Read up on workout and sports training strategies. Even pro athletes switch up their workouts to target different muscle groups and take days off to avoid injury. You don't have the luxury of being able to switch up your workouts because your fretting hand has to do essentially the same motion regardless of your plucking technique.

So, seriously, take breaks. Hinestly, my best advice if you want to go into bass as a career would be to spend some of your practice time working on vocals. You'll be much more likely to get/keep a good paying gig if you can sing backups if not even some lead vocals.

Just trying to help. I'm sure it's not what you wanted for advice. But I just don't want to see you start a thread a year from now entitled "Gotta have carpal tunnel surgery. Crap!" or "What can I do about finger joint pain?".

:thumbsup:

sharkbait130 likes this.
  7. Put on a set of flatwounds and change 'em in 2036.

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Beat me to it.

9. Why change in 2036? That's only 20 years, just enough to break them in! :D:roflmao::D:roflmao:

sharkbait130 likes this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I put a set of 40-year-old "new" flatwounds on one of my Jazz basses awhile back. Found half a dozen sets in a guitar store in NJ. Shop owner discovered them in a back room collecting dust in late 2014. Packages weren't even sealed and the strings sound and feel great!

11. For some of us that'll be about the time to liquidate the estate. My heir, and successor may not like flatwounds.

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i push the strings to the limits of about 7/8 dead before i change them, but i think a lot of L2000 guys who don't use flats do that

13. By 2036, the flats on my basses will be the only enduring part of my entire estate! :laugh: