Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When to change strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gts1591, Nov 2, 2003.

1. gts1591

gts1591

Nov 2, 2003
    The when to change strings link does not work. So I am asking. When should I change my strings. I have gotten some bad advise and need some good ideas.

2. strings lose their bite over time and if you wait too long (or long enough, depending how you look at it), your tone will turn to mud. when you stop liking how your strings sound, feel, or look, change em.

3. It's also good to know that strings can come out of the package dead.

String changing isn't like changing the oil in a car. It is done to preference of the player.

Some people have more acidic skin then others and have to change their strings after a long performance.

I myself change my strings (no matter what) right before I head for the studio, but that's just my taste.

From the web.....Most players change strings when they lose their brilliance, sound too mellow, when intonation falters, or when their instrument is difficult to keep in tune. Changing one string after it breaks is not recommended, as the newer string will definitely be brighter sounding than the rest of the set.

YMMV.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    It's also a good idea to keep your strings clean for longer life. I wipe my stings down after I play. I change my strings when I feel like they have lost their brightness. But thats just me. :)

5. This is my problem exactly. Even if I wipe them down religeously. My sweat on a long perfromance just gets inside the string and they're good for about 8 to 10 hours.
    Nothing worse than old dull sounding strings.

6. What I do is that I play them until they break (but I keep them fresh with dips in rubbing alcohol). But I store the remaining strings away, and save them, just incase if I break a G this time, and I break a D next time, I won't have to keep buying strings.

7. Have you tried the alcohol dip?

Give it a try, it will get some of the sweat out and, bring back some life, but it may not be enough for your liking.

I suggest purchasing your strings by the case, less expensive then buying individual sets.

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Hey, that's what I do.

Good Idea!

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. Alcohol dip..'splain Lucy?
    You don't actually take them off the bass do you?

Fortunatly a good friend of mine has an endorsement now with GHS so I will be buying by the box in the future.

10. Czugi

Czugi

Feb 2, 2002
    once a year

11. In addition to wiping after playing, I run my finger between the bottom of the string and the fretboard. If the strings have fret dents, as I call them, I change them.

I read that Stanley Clarke wipes his down with cologne after playing. The alcohol content cleans the strings and he says he like the smell.

What ever floats your boat!:p

12. Yeah, do a search using boiled strings as a title and you will get 72 threads about string cleaning. These two are about using alcohol to clean and dip!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5354

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98547&highlight=boiling+strings

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. Boiling strings has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of people doing. I always thought it was just an urban legend and never thought anyone actually does it.

I could understand wiping them down with something like alcohol, which could help to evaporate the sweat out or wd40 to protect the metal from corrosion (but that'd probably hurt the fretboard), but boiling??

I think i'll just keep on changing my strings when they get dull, a small price to pay for tone.

Peace and thanks for the links Mistress Treena

14. I do not boil my strings either, I have an endorsement, so I get my strings for free.

However, others have and do boil their strings to get more use from them.
    Not everyone has 20 to 80 bucks to spend everytime they need to change strings.

So lets be nice and supportive to our fellow bassists.

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. I just call 'em as I see 'em.
    Some things regardless of how many practice it's use are just plain silly.
    Sometimes things are passed around with no basis in reality.
    I know people who swear that rice will make a bird's belly explode, because they have heard it from many sources. So people have stopped throwing rice at weddings. However it's simply not true and has no basis in reality, but some folks take it for fact.
    I think boiling strings falls into this catergory.
    I don't feel I was mean spirited in any way, so please don't take it that way.
    If someone wants to stack BB's on the street corner, All the power to them. But I can express my amusement as well.
    Maybe this is one for the Myth Busters t.v. program....
    My suggestion for those who can't afford new strings would be preventitive measures. Use a towel and wipe your hands between songs and wipe down the bass as well. Strings are a wearable part of the bass and there is no way around that.
    Like oil in your car, sometimes you have to change it.
    Peace:)

16. Change 'em when the magic's gone. That could be a week or over a year depending on the model of string you use and what you need to hear out of them. Always trust your ears.

17. mcbassdude, that's an excellent idea!
    I would love to see this tested by our buddies in SF........those guys crack me! Yet, they have resolved some myths. :D

You are right on, with your analogy.

I heard it about seagulls and alka seltzer........blows their guts up!

[​IMG]
    Treena

18. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    i change mine when i feel there too old, i personally like the low tone i get when they have lost thier "Brightness" or "magic" but thats me

19. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Well aren't you special! :D ;) :D
    I'm just kidding Treena:D

I've read before about boiling string to, but would'nt that make the string snap easier because it expands and then contracts?? or am I completely clueless?