Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

when to change tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spur, Jun 4, 2005.

1. spur

spur

Jun 4, 2005
    sweden
    I've got the ampeg svt3 head with tubes in the preamp. When will I have to change the tubes? Can I do it my self and how long will the tubes last in general? I bought the head a year ago.

2. You'll know when to change the tubes, it'll basically start to sound really worn/crappy or just stop working altogether, or make really annoying noises that it shouldnt

I asked an amp tech if he would have a look at my SVT II (for the power tubes) , and his words were, aslong as the right sound is coming out of it and it isnt like the northern lights are escaping from the back of your amp, its fine :p

But for pre tubes alot of people seem to find them living the life of the amp and not needing to be changed, always worth carrying a spare 12AX7 to a gig tho :)

3. You're FAR more likely to damage or destroy a "spare" 12AX7 carrying it around to gigs than anything your amp will dish out in the normal course of playing. If something should happen to the amp that's bad enough to damage a preamp tube, it WILL cause other damage to the amp and you shouldn't be playing through it anyway.

4. Oh well, shut me up eh :p