When to come in........

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Lazurus, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Lazurus

Lazurus

Nov 17, 2016
    Norfolk, UK
    Every time I think I have made progress something else jumps up and kicks me. Right current problem is when to come in , I recently got the Lost Art Of Country Bass book and play along CD, which as recommended is very good for my stage of playing. However not knowing the songs I have found I just don't know when to come in on the track, there doesn't appear to be any guidance in the book, my skills are not yet there to just jump in and sort it on the fly.

If they were songs I know then I would have a chance, any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Art-Country-Bass-Electric/dp/0793569923

2. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Rip the audio off the CD and add your own clicktrack intro in Audacity?

3. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    The only way I've ever done it is by skipping the first bar. I pay attention to what I should be playing on it but I'll let that first four count go. Lots of songs start that way anyways so it gets you used to counting off from whatever instrument is starting the song.

What if the whole band starts at once? The drummer should count it off

eJake and Lazurus like this.
  4. Lazurus

Lazurus

Nov 17, 2016
    Norfolk, UK

When you put it like that it sounds so simple........ More practice, more listening I guess.

5. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I'd also say get a copy of The Art of Walking Bass It goes in stages, explains everything really well AND a drummer counts off every song. It's in sheet and tab so you can just use the tab if you want or tape over the tab and work on your note studies while you play.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021