Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

when to cut?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HELLonWHEELS, Mar 3, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I just got 2 peices of popluar and the sizes are pretty big so i wasn't sure wether to cut out the wings first them glue the wood together or glue then cut out. It really makes no differance to me, but i wanted to know what you guys thought

2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Depending on your design, it could be difficult to glue up cut wings. Ive found it difficult to put my "Uncle Fester" screw clamps on curved surfaces. If your clamps are not parallel, you could get some drift forward and backwards. Not that it cant be done, but just plan ahead and anticipate...

3. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Its an exact copy of a standard Fender P-bass

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    measure twice, cut once.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    When possible I like to glue up the body blank then cut. For me once the body blank is glued and sanded flat I draw everything on it then cut out the neck pocket first....t

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    You can clamp cut wings. Just take whatever was cut off (the scrap) and put it back in place, like a puzzle piece, and clamp away.

7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I like the idea of glue first then cut.

8. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    then i will glue first. Thanxs guys!

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I find it easier to cut first, then glue alot of the time (means your cutting something smaller).

To glue them, all you have to do is use the offcuts as a template sort of thing and put them back on (make sure you cut in one go per side when possible).

10. For bolt-on or set-neck, I glue first, then plane, cut the neck pocket, then cut the outline.

For neck-thru, I plane the wings to thickness, then cut the outline, then glue up using the offcuts as cauls as described above (trying to cut the outline in one pass per wing).