When to get a setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Hey guys. I did a search, and didn't find what I was looking for. When do you know you need a setup? Should you get a setup with every change of strings, or can you change strings without a setup? Any other info would be nice, too. Thanks.
  2. If you're changing your strings and keeping the same guage, then it shouldn't bother the setup at all. If you're changing the guage, you're changing the tension, and it could be a factor in your neck setup. IMO.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

If'n you're changing strings to the same brand/guage set, you shouldn't need a set up.

DO re-adjust the bass when:

-You notice the intonation is off (notes as you play up the neck go out of tune)

-You notice those strings are gettin' a bit far off the fretboard. (neck relief is effected by temperature & humidity)

-You start getting buzzing, dead notes, etc.(same as above, or possibly worn frets, fret sprout, etc)

-You change the guage, or brand of strings you're using.
  4. Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'll be doing a setup when I get my fretless since I'm changing the strings once I get the set I ordered in. :D