1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

when to get new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassguitarlover, Nov 8, 2006.

1. bassguitarlover

bassguitarlover

Nov 7, 2006
    hi im wondering if some ones progessing well for the amount of time thet have been plying when should some one get a new bass, or is it good to have a nice bass to make you want to play it

2. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    i do that way too much. I buy crap to peak my interest. But it is so much fun.

If you want a new one, go get one.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I buy a new bass when my money meets the demands of my GAS.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    When this happens to your old one.

Victory_Bass_small.jpg

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Tuesday.

6. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    If you are progressing well, go somewhere and play some other instruments. See if one really grabs you (that you can afford of course). You will probably be able to tell if you're ready to move on, or up, or whatever you want to call it.

:)

7. I bought my second after about 6 months of playing

8. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    when you find a deal that you're sure you cant find anywhere else....only to find 6 more even cheaper the day after you buy it :crying:

9. When you find that you can't do as much on your old bass anymore. (that's when you add strings) I started with 4 strings and basic stuff, and then I started to play chords (and my five string was bought) and then more chords in false harmonics. When I felt that my 5 string couldn't satisfy me, I got my 6 string. And 6 strings is as high as I would go. And my 6 string isn't that fun now days, so I want to get a 6 string fretless.

10. bassguitarlover

bassguitarlover

Nov 7, 2006
    whcih you guy say this is a good deal
    a burgandey red standard 4 string warcik corvette for about $820

11. ElDunco

ElDunco has an addiction.

Aug 19, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Employee Atomic Music Beltsville
    I go out with some guitar player friends and I always sit down and just start playing different basses. See how I like the feel and tone of everything. If I really like it and it appeals to me then I'll, usually, think about it for a bit and see what else I come about.

Plus looking at like fretless or more strings just play around with some and see if you really like it. I feel you should only ever buy a bass if it really inspires you and you like to play it. Unless of course it's a great deal and a good investment lol.

12. Dude, if you already have a 4 string, I wouldn't get another 4 string. I'd add strings first, then upgrade bass quality. In other words say I have an Ibanez 4 string, I'd get a 5 string first, then maybe a 6 string, and after that I might get a better 4 string like a custom made or something. But that's just me.
    Also, beware, warwicks are dead heavy!

13. I change basses with the weather. I live in Scotland so we can have all 4 seasons within an hour.

I played 4 string for the first 7 years. In that time I had 2 basses - I had to get the second one because like a lot of people, I thought it would look cool if i modified it. WRONG. I defretted it using a huge file straight across the neck, stripped the paint off and hand painted it black. Luckily it was a cheap and nasty P copy so that went in the bin. :bag:

i bought my first 5 string when I was 19 then upgraded it to a stingray when I was 20.

I never considered a 6 as they always seemed very expensive and the domain of jazzers and posers. :D

i played this for 5 years straight until I had enough one night at a gig where I couldn't hear myself and had to play harder than normal and in a fit of madness decided to sell it and go back to 4 string. :ninja:

I went between 4 and 5 for a few years until I decided to make the jump to the jazz/poser status of 6 string (my opinion has changed in case anyone is wondering - I don't play jazz but am a complete show off in the nicest possible way) :)

i now enjoy playing an Ibanez SR1006 6 string ( my 2nd 6er) strung with flats along with a Geddy Jazz. :bassist:

That's this weeks basses. It could of course change by the time I have finished this post.

Did somebody say Warwick Thumb 6 string?

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

and if you don't buy one, at least try out a bunch so you know what to get when you do buy one. i also like to do research and learn all about the different basses im interested in buying, so i can narrow down and make the decision.

15. My rule of thumb has always been: Buy the new one when you notice a REAL difference (feel, tone, responsiveness, NOT cosmetics) between what you're thinking about buying and what you're currently playing. If you think the difference is worth the asking price, you're ready to buy. If you can't tell a real difference, save you money.