when to have a manager?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tommo, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Ive just joined a new band and we sound realy good! We can get gigs when were ready and i feel we could go far!! I was just thinking about managment, how old should you be, (im 13, everyone else is 15) do we even need managment? I dont even know anything about it yet! thats why i could use some help!:D
  2. First off, I think you're too young for a manager. Secondly, admitting you don't know anything about management is a sure sign you don't need one.

I would focus on getting a few gigs around your town, maybe building up a following of sorts. Then slowly expand around your area. You won't need a manager until you're doing national tours and stuff. Seeing as most gigs when you're starting off won't net you much money to begin with, it doesn't make sense to give 10% of it to a manager. I would wait until you have a better understanding of the biz before you start hiring people to help you out.

Don't get too ambitious, everyone has to pay their dues sometimes, and playing music is a vicious profession.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Never, if you can get away with it.

Do you want to have someone who can't contribute musically following you around and taking 15% of what you earn? That's the typical "manager." If you own a telephone and can stuff an envelope, you don't need one.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Age has nothing to do with it. A manager who can earn his keep by getting you an incremental number of paying gigs has everything to do with it. My band had a manager when I was 16 and his 10% was nothing because he kept landing us more paying gigs than we could play.

But times have changed. Managers involve contracts, contracts involve lawyers, and then you have two blood-suckers you don't necessarily need.

Consider booking agents instead if you think you can be a hot property. You can find them online. Just make sure they don't get paid until you do. Once everyone gets paid, there's no on-going contractual obligation.