1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When to refund?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Scopaz, Jan 23, 2017.

1. So I sold a bass to a guy on here. It didn't work out and I agreed to let him send it back to me. The bass has shown up damaged. I am having to file a claim now for the damage through FedEx all while not having proof (yet) that the damage didn't occur while it was in his possession.

When is the proper time to refund the money? I took video and photos of the bass before I sent it to him. I am waiting to see if he did the same before shipping it back to me.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    It is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that the person who ships the item is responsible to file the damage claim. So if you shipped to the buyer and it arrived damaged you file the claim. However if the buyer receives the item undamaged and returns it for a refund he/she would need to file the claim if it was damaged in the return shipment. I would assume that the bass was in good condition when the buyer got it or you would have been told of the damage.

I hope this helps.

A little side story:

I sold a Rivoli bass to Baz of the Fratallis. They were going to tour Japan and stopping off in New York to play on David Letterman. He asked me to ship it to his agent in L.A. and then his agent would ship it to him and he would pick it up in New York.

When he got it in New Your it looked like this:

Man I felt like crap. I had taken pictures of it while I was packing it and sent them to him. The big problem was figuring it what leg of the journey it was damaged. He didn't ask for a refund or for me to file a claim. A while later I saw a video of him playing it at a show so I assume he got it repaired.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Wait. What didn't work out? What was your reason for accepting a return?

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I'm curious to this as well. Generally, especially with used items "i didn't like it" isn't a valid reason for return. I've gotten a few items I didn't like, I sold them myself rather than return them to the seller.

As the seller I'd be weary about accepting a return. Nothing stopping from someone accidentally damaging it, requesting a return and then claiming the damage happened it shipping. I'd be out the money of the item and the item. (double screwed if you the insurance claim doesn't go through)

You said the bass showed up to YOU damaged. What kind of damage are we talking about here? Was any of the packing or box damaged? Was it shipped in a case, and is that damaged?

Was it shipped UPS or FedEx? I could be wrong but I *think* a claim with either of them is less likely to go through if the shipper self packs a box, as opposed to them packing it.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yeah....what actually happened here is entirely unclear.
    What didn't work out? What was the reason you agreed to have him send it back to you?
    Showed up damaged when? Is that what didn't work out? Or it was something else and it arrived damaged after he sent it back to you but wasn't damaged when he got it?

6. His claim that the bass was not as mint as I had advertised. I didn't want to argue about it and get into a big thing, which I of course now have.

7. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    What about receiving a pedal that doesn't work. I returned it a day later and got stuck with return postage and paypal fees on the $90 that was reimbursed.

8. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    You don't pay Paypal fees if it is a refund.