When to send back a new bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blipndub, Jan 8, 2006.

1. I bought a new Tacoma Thurderchief fretless from a dealer on ebay and the bass arrived with an almost unplayable setup. The neck is convex and the action high to compensate. To top it off the truss rod wrench (bullet syle like a les paul) doesn't fit so I can't even make adjustments to the neck. And I tried a friend's wrench for his older and nicer (pre fender) fretless thuderchief and that one didn't fit either!

The bass is very nice, the amplified sound is okay. I'm probably 60% satisfied with the bass overall and after a set up that will probably skyrocket.

I guess I'm pissed that a $1400 bass wasn't set up well but I know that just happens. I'm not sure what to do. I emailed the dealer and they said I could send it back to them for a set up or compensate me a few buck for a nut wrench that would fit. That's good customer service but I don't know if I should try return it and just get a Breedlove or what!?!

2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Personally I would have it set up locally by someone who knows what they are doing if a setup will cure the neck issue.
    You might be out of pocket for a few bucks but it is not a cheap bass..... I am not a fan of repacking and sending it back. Potential for problems increases......