1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

when to stop...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pumpkin_Howie, Aug 17, 2007.

1. when i was playing today it felt like my right hand was burning really badly. i was playing barbarism begins -the smiths at home along to the song, and it is about 6 minutes of a looped pattern (kinda like juicebox - the strokes)

it kinda felt like the muscles were being strained in my right hand, is it ok for me to keep going? i've heard some nasty stories about carpal tunnel syndrome n stuff on this forum before!

2. Just J

Just J Guest

Jul 27, 2007
    Carpal Tunnel is caused by using sharp angles in your wrist when you're working your fingers. All those pads and stuff you see for keyboards and mice are designed to keep your wrists straight as your typing. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is VERY common in people who type a lot.

Think of it like you're weight lifting. Your arms burn, but you keep going. If you use improper form you can seriously hurt yourself, but it's perfectly normal for the muscles/tendons in your hand to ache and your forearm to burn during intense practice. If you feel your WRIST start to hurt, you need to rethink your form.

When I do my morning routine, usually by the end of the session I can hardly play.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Good advice above from Just J. Take a look at the "Floating Thumb" technique sticky near the top of this forum.