When was my Ampeg made?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J. from Samsara, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Hey everyone two questions:

#1. I bought an Ampeg SVT-2PRO Premier Edion back in May of '02 and I would like to find out when it was made. The serial number is gone, but on the front is says #007/250. It is very heavy and it takes up four spaces.

#2. A few days ago I picked up an Ampeg 810 that I was told was made in the '80's. It came from the factory with two spring handles instead of the silver bar handle. Also the border around the grill is like silver plastic. I have never seen one like this, but I am positive it is all original.

Please, if anyone can help I would really love to know what this stuff is, also in the future I would like to get another amp and cab like this.

J. :)
  2. With a S/N I could be much more precise but otherwise I think the Premier Editions were made around '91 (give or take a year).
    I saw one of these for the first time only recently. I'm only guessing here but it could be from Ampeg's MTI era ('81ish-'86). My second guess would be early SLM era ('87-'90). Either way it's kinda of an oddity (no slight intended) in that the 810 design began on a dolly, then went to "tilt-back" with a "towel bar", then yours with tilt-back and separate spring-loaded handles, then returning to the towel bar. I suppose they'll eventually come full circle and put 'em back on dollies.

BTW, check the S/N on your SVT-CL. If the first letter is a T and the 5th letter is an I and the last two digits are 78 I heard they are great.:p
  3. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
  4. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    My SVT-2 Pro "premier edition" was made in September 1993. I found that if you take the top off it it may have a small sticker with the production date printed on it(well mine had this) but mine still has the serial number too. I "dated" it using the Bluemuse site.