1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When was my Fender built?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBob1, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I have a Fender American Standard Jazz that I bought in early march 2008. I have been a little curious about when it was actually produced. The serial number with starts Z7... indicates that it was built in 07 but even Fender's website says (as most of us already know) serial numbers are not necessarily the best way to "exactly" date a Fender. Fender also says there is sometimes overlap from year to year. I even plugged my basses serial number into a website that I found here in another thread. The Guitar Dater Project Other said it appeared to be accurate so I gave it a try and what were my results? 2007-2008.

I was wondering if anyone knew of other ways to find out the date a fender was manufactured? I won't disappointed if I can't find out for sure, perhaps just forever curious.

And here is the bass in question, just because.

photo-2.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My guess is late 2007, as I think that is when the new higher mass bridges were first used. Generally we saw these appearing in stores in early 2008. Just guessing, though.

BTW, that is one nice looking bass. How is the fret work?

3. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Send an email to Fender customer support and give them to serial number. They were able to pinpoint mine pretty closely. They were really good to work with.

4. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I believe that's accurate. I have a "7" SN American Standard P that I took delivery of in early 2008, this subject was just touched on in a thread an hour or so ago.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/ashtray-08-american-standard-p-842922/

5. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Very accurate. No more S-1, new bridge.

6. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    Late 2007 has been my guess even though I picked it up brand new out of the box from the fender factory. Thanks to those who have responded. I may try sending an email to fender to see if they can tell me for sure. It depends on how curious I really feel.

Edit: I guess no one knows of any other way to date it then. Is there a number or date on the pick ups or something like on 60's and 70's fenders? I'm assuming no but I've never had them out.

Thank you. The fret work is great. Most definitely the best on any bass I have ever owned (a highway 1 jazz I used to own was probably the next closest). Not a single rough edge, they seem to have been leveled properly, etc. Pretty much what one would expect a good quality fret job to be like I guess.

7. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I think at least on the later MIA Fenders the serial # is fairly true to the actual manufacture date.
    Like with your bass I personally opened the factory box around my "7" SN bass in mid 2/08, it had been physically in the retailers distribution system for about 6 weeks; it almost had to be built in '07.
    It's not like automobiles where the VIN reflects the model year rather than the actual year the vehicle was manufactured.
    If our basses were cars, they would have "8" serial numbers.

8. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Check the date codes on the pots. They are bought in large batches, so they will predate the instrument by days or even months, but they will give you a "no sooner than" date.

9. AndybradleyUK

AndybradleyUK

Sep 30, 2010
    I can give you the year if you give me the serial number.