Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When was the first 6 string electric made and by whom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AxtoOx, Dec 23, 2005.

1. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I was reading Carl Thompson's web site and he claims to have made the first 6 string electric bass. What makes me wonder is I remember the big deal that was made back in 75 or so when Joe Perry of Aerosmith got a 6 string bass and used it on "Back in the Saddle" on Rocks. I thought (forgive me for forgetting his name) the bass player for Cheap Trick had one also. I know he had a 12.

2. Totally different instruments.
    Joe Perry played what some refer to as a "six-string bass," which is tuned E-A-D-G-B-E one octave below standart geetar tuning.
    As far as as can tell, Carl Thompson made the first modern sixer for Anthony Jackson, who called it a "contrabass guitar" and tuned it B-E-A-D-G-C starting a fourth below standard bass tuning.
    I don't know what Tom Peterssen was playing back then other than the 12.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The first mass produced six string bass was made by Danelectro in 1959. It is commonly referred to as the tic tac bass, and was intended for guitarists who wanted to double on bass. It had very close string spacing, and was designed to be played with a plectrum. It was used a lot to double the upright in Nashville music, to make the upright more audible.

Fender and Gibson made their own version of this in the 60's.

These basses are tuned EADGBE, just like a guitar, only an octave lower, like a bass. They are often mistakenly referred to as a Baritone guitar. A Baritone guitar is tuned a fifth below a guitar, not an octave.

Carl Thompson was commissioned to build a six string contrabass guitar by Anthony Jackson, but the prototype didn't meet with Anthony's expectations. He then had Fodera build him a contra six. These were the first six stringers with a low B string.

Tom Peterson from Cheap Trick is credited with inventing the twelve string bass.

The six string bass that Joe Perry used was based on the Danelectro design, and I believe that it was a Fender Bass VI.

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That explains it.
    Thanks guys.

5. How about a "historical info" forum - could be a great research project and info source for one of our younger members...

Found out about the original MusicMans on TalkBass, too - made me put mine in the closet where no one touches it.

6. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    nice suggestion, TB.
    i second that motion.

7. third'd I say we either talk to a mod about a 'Bass History" forum, or start a 'petition' thread about it.