When was the PEAK of Trace Elliot?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markorbit, Oct 28, 2006.

1. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    What is the BEST SS or hybrid head Trace ever produced? Is it the Gibson-era AH1000-12?

I used to have a non-vinyl-covered AH250 GP11 way back when, and did lots of good things with it, it had nice clarity, bit of growl, and was punchy and dynamic. A bit later I had a MK5 head (which seemed a bit more clinical though it could have been the cabs I was using) and then I drifted away from Trace. Today I own a V4 combo but have GAS for the typical Trace setup again - great 12-band EQ, built-in dual-compressor and maybe even a valve drive if I'm lucky. On paper, everything I ever need.

I have chance of a AH100-12. Looking at what you get it seems the ULTIMATE in TE heads. It's probably a Gibson model but I don't know if that really means anything substantial. Haven't had a chance to demo it yet. It has the carpet covering (which I hate) but also looks like it can be removed and popped in another rack - anyone know if that's true?

Anyone own a AH1000-AH? Good or bad? How does the new valve drive sound (later models had DRIVE, not just blend)? Is this amp the ultimate Trace?

2. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    I have a trace elliot ah1200sm for sale actually. in my opinion it is the peak of the trace sound before gibson bought them. Im not sure if it has tubes in the preamp section but it is very warm and speaks well in the mids

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021