When Was Your First Gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basslax, Dec 26, 2001.

1. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Well...When was your first gig? How old were you? How long had you been playing bass?

im just feeling paranoid because i havent had one yet...
  2. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    i remember it like it was just yesterday...
    aug. 4th, saturday i think. i was 15 (as am now). it was for a graduation party... they invited TONS of people, and there was said to be about a hundred coming... that is, until they found out it was a non-alcoholic party. then there was about... 20. it was mine and the drummer's first gig, our guitarist and singer had had a few before, but i was so nervous. but it turns out, (not meaning to brag) we did awesome, or so we were told by the hosts and the sound guy and everything.

but your first gig will rock. you're a gig-virgin... its always scary the first time, but after the first one, you'll be dying to play more.

i love this pic of us... we're playin on an unfinished deck raised about 10 feet above everyone (i thought i was gonna fall off the side).
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Played in the Hall at church, might have been 15 or so. Played for refreshments. Used a borrowed green and silver Tiesco Del Ray 4 pickup bass with bass, gutar and vocals going into a Univox combo using Y jacks. That's right... the Big Time;)

I was working clubs a couple of years later.
  4. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    how long had you guys been playing bass when this happened?
  5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I was 16...it was August 10 this year. I had been playing bass(upright) for ~4 years, and bass guitar for ~1 year. Verdict: It sucked.
  6. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    i had been playing about a year to a year and a half.
  7. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    1971, Jr High tallent show.
  8. May 9 1975. I was 16. I was playing guitar as I hadn't seen the light at that time.

My first gig on bass was winter 76 if I recall correctly. Playing in a Cream style trio. I have never progressed from there! well, not in my heart, anyway, though I have played a wide range of music since then.
  9. i was 14 years old and we played at the juunior high talent show. won 20 bucks so it made it worth while. i had only been playing a little less than a year.
  10. I was 13, was playing the bass for about a week! It sucked greatly, I was playing for a short while and boom one of my friends said I have a friend that needs a bass player. Next thing I know I'm playing a birthday party. I hate that now, every half-committed Joe Shmo Musician I meet (usually a guitarist) "needs a bass player" I find that really offensive too. Here I am a committed musician getting offers from amateurs because I’m still young.
  11. I was 16 I got my bass for my 16th birthday. I had been playing for 4 months when I played my first gig. I have now been playing for 3 and a half years.
  12. Saturday August 25, 2001. It was a party. There were 2 other bands. I had been playing for...13 months.
  13. Sometime around Christmas of 1975 - I was 17 and playing in our high school's Jazz ensemble. It was a freebie gig at the local yacht club for the seniors. You know - dancing, refreshments, etc.

Played my first professional gig less than a year later working with a rock group out of Pensacola FL while I was going to college.
  14. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I played my first gig when I was fifteen,and I'd been playing for about eight months. The singer in my current band went to it, and now says that it was the worst thing he's ever seen. :eek:
  15. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I was 17 and playing bass for several months. Played at a juvenile detention facility with two drummers, a guitar, two saxaphones, one singer, and two backup singers. Didn't even have a PA. I had my Sears Silvertone and a Supro amp.
  16. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    school review gig in about 88/89 (I'll try and find the date and edit this later! :oops:) - I was about 16 the band was called 'EARS' (eric adam robert and steve), and we played two songs that I'd written the music for and the singer just shouted some stuff over the top. I think I've still got the tape somewhere - truly appalling stuff... a few weeks later we had our first 'paid' gig (£10 between the four of us, and only then because the bar man was so drunk we told him he'd agreed to pay us...)

longer set, more originals as well as foxy lady and venus - more excruciating disastrous sonic terrorism. My poor mother had brought some relatives to hear the gig - they must have been sooooooo embarrassed... :oops:)

Soon after that started playing fairly regularly with a new orleans jazz band on sunday nights (electric bass in a New Orleans band? mmmm), and learnt a heck of a lot playing that stuff...

ah, the old days... I've got tapes of some of my more appalling early experiments - one day some of it may end up on the website, just as an encouragement to anyone who's musical skills only stretches as far as dropping a guitar over the top of the stairs... that's pretty much what a lot of it sounds like...

17. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    well we have done a talent show...i didnt really count that though.

it was a highschool show but we were in 8th grade and we still got second place :D ...we played under the bridge and the show director guy told us 3 minutes before the show that we hade to shave off 2 mins off our set so we didnt even have time to practice the shortened version. we messed up on one of the verses and thats why we only got second :D .
  18. My first gig was the High School Talent show (seems like a re-appearing theme here:D) The date was March 19th, 1998. I had been playing for 5 months, and it was in the old auditorium, so there were only about 300 people in attendance. We played mostly easy stuff, Enter Sandman, Brain Stew and Iron Man, if memory serves. 3 weeks later we were playing the Paris Theater (real big whoop:rolleyes: ) and giged from then on for the next 3 years.

I miss my band.:(

Rock on
  19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    this past halloween was my first gig...i have been playin bass since last dec 28th, hey tomorrow is my one year mark for playin bass.

20. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    ...off to MISCELLANEOUS...