1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When will prices peak for non-Fender older basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the federalist, Nov 3, 2018.

1. the federalist

the federalist I think about basses a lot.

Aug 10, 2014
    Let's assume that older Fender basses will hold their value going forward. I know even that proposition is arguable, but let's make that assumption. Rickenbackers probably fall into this category as well. Old Gibsons maybe.

What about non-Fender basses from the 80's, such as the Aria SB 1000, Peavey T-40, Ibanez Roadstars, Guild Pilot, Tokai, Greco, Univox MIJ models, early 80's G & L's and others?

All of these instruments have cache among a certain segment of the bass playing population. I imagine this segment consists largely of people who have fond memories of when these models were new, or who like the bands associated with the instruments. That is, I suppose the people who covet these basses are relatively old and getting older by the day.

How many people in their 20's remember John Taylor, Cliff Burton, Jack Bruce or the guy from Haircut 100? How many 30 year olds remember seeing Peavey T-40's on Hee Haw? How about 10 or 20 years from now?

Thus my question: These are all fine instruments, and still less expensive than Fenders of the same age, but will they hold their value going forward?

2. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Hopefully not, then there will be lots of nice cheap basses available for people who don't care about basses holding their value.

Rich Fiscus and bobyoung53 like this.
  3. Well I think that almost all bass players if they are serious will sooner or later know who Jack Bruce is.:bassist:

dmt, Wisebass and ajkula66 like this.
  4. NEVER after the crash/correction around 07-08 prices on vintage dropped from 30-60% and although it’s been coming back a little over the last decade. I’ve been selling off my vintage tube amp collection. But if you’ve got another ten or twenty yrs to wait, I’d still buy Fender as it’s made the strongest comeback so far. And outpaces most everything else generally.
    I think the boom is frankly over, baby boomers got their stuff already and the next generation seems less interested in nostalgia. Which is what vintage gear is.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Jim C, mexicant and bholder like this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Tuesday.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    What time on Tuesday? This could be critical.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Not exactly sure, but I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a cheeseburger today. :p

Gluvhand, ahc and lowdownthump like this.
  8. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    I really think it depends on what and how rare you buy, nothing here ever went down......
    DSCN1040.JPG

OldFenderPlayer, JRA and ajkula66 like this.
  9. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    That's a Wimpy answer :p

Clark Dark, ahc, 12BitSlab and 5 others like this.
  10. Oh come on now @Bflat, that’s cheating. Your place is like a musical Smithsonian Museum!

ajkula66 and Bflat like this.
  11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Magic 8 Ball says:

"Cannot Predict Now"

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    To be a collectible, it has to have interest beyond that as an instrument. Fender prices went nuts because they were bought by rich non musicians overseas as examples of Americana, not because musicians wanted them to play. And yeah, that ship has sailed, even for Fenders.

Clark Dark likes this.
  13. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

I think when all of us old farts croak the prices will come way down because young people are playing instruments anymore...there will be such a glut in the mark they'll be giving them away....give it 12 years or so.

14. I agree with B-Mac. I have rackmount QSC1200 Watt Lead sled power amps not selling on CL for peanuts. We had em at $350 with no bites and sadly the same at freaking $250. Music as we know it is on the way out and we are the dinosaurs looking up at the sky going, what the heck happened. Great instruments will always be in demand, how few or how many remains to be seen. Instrument sales drop year by year. I have my own theory. Briefly, I believe it started when school systems cut music programs along with various arts programs and sports. Only a few years later most kids couldn’t tell a piccolo from a tuba. Makes me mad and sad really. Ok, I’ll stop now haha.

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Musical instrument sales will come roaring back when someone finally shows the wisdom to come out with Kardashian models.

rojo412 likes this.
  16. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

17. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Collectables that are popular only go through market corrections but never drop a huge amount.
    Not long ago a professional restored 60's non-concourse Vette was going for stupid money.
    I believe they are still above $100K.
    Compared to a new Vette or even Mustang GT, these cars have horrible suspension, brakes, and were no as fast as many think.
    Plus you couldn't get them to hook up.
    Really junk compared to new cars.
    The styling is timeless and prices will always stay high.

Only a few things from back in the day have not really had significant upgrades with the exception on old amps, guitars and perhaps guns. In fact, we are still desperately trying to make new things look and sound like the originals.

I see no reason why this will change in the next 25 years so no reason for huge price drops unless the stock market makes a big move.
    Back in the 80's the Japanese would pay anything for old Fenders and custom colors were off the chart.
    Their economy has changed that but they will still pay what many here consider outrageous money.

I bought a 58' burst at the Arlington Texas guitar show for $4K in the early 80's.
    I sold it shortly there after for $6,500.
    It was super clean but not a "great" Les Paul.
    That same guitar sold for over $75K some years ago yet you could probably find a better one in your local music store at that time.

It's all what a particular person will pay on a given day.

18. :roflmao:

19. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Selling the T40 a little short. Ross Valory was a early endorser.

20. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing?:roflmao: