1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When would you change strings if you were me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lebowsky, Jul 18, 2014.

1. A week before

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Two weeks before

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Three weeks before

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Four weeks before

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Five weeks before

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Six weeks before

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    I have a gig on august 29th. Haven't gigged in 2 years (long story). My current strings are Ken Smith SS roundwounds that I put on in March or April.

I have a pack of new La Bella SS rounds that I would like to try and play at that gig. I do play rather aggressively and with a pick.

Considering the fact that I rehearse with the band once a week for about 3-4 hours, when should I change strings so that they lose their "newness" before the gig, but I don't arrive there with dead strings either?

Please say why :)

Linnin likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    1-2 Weeks. That gives you enoungh time to tweak your set up and play the stringset in and uber-zingy newness out. Since you're trying out a totally new to you stringset you need time to live with it a bit, so that if you hate them you still have some time to switch them out for a new set of a tried-and-true brand.

petrus61 likes this.
  3. At least 2 band rehearsals, I'd say.

4. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Last time was 2 days, I meant it to be 1 week but never got round to it. They were fine.

5. Depends more on sweat and playing time than calendar time.

I'd say about 6 hours of playing time, but that could go up a lot if you don't leave crud on the strings and wipe down after every (short) playing period.

6. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    thanks guys!

Linnin likes this.
  7. I never change strings, rounds or flats, unless one breaks. The best part of rounds is AFTER they lose their annoying zing and settle in. That takes a few months. I'd say you're good for another 4-5 years without changing strings.

8. Don't change your strings at all.

9. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    well I wouldn't have asked the question if I didn't want to change them. The thing is I have Ken Smith on, and I would like to try the La Bellas. The Ken Smith are nice, but not great. I was hoping to like the La Bellas more. Hence wanting to know when changing them would be best.

jazzyvee likes this.
  10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    If I were you, I would play stringless instead of fretless :p

11. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I had a gig last week and the strings on that bass were about 9 months old mainly played at home practice and rehearsals.
    I changed them just about 10 days before the gig so I could wear them in as they are quite abrasive to the touch when new and I didn't want that feel on a gig. They were fine and still had that sting in the tone that I love.

12. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I tried Ken Smith strings and whilst they were nice when new, they went a bit dull for my liking far too quickly. Same with Fodera. I have never tried Labella but have heard good things about them so will try them at some point in the future.