Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When you are having trouble making up any new basslines what do you guys do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassplayingdan, Feb 13, 2003.

1. When you are having trouble making up any new basslines what do you guys do to overcome this? I need sugguestions.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    If I'm stuck adding a line a a song we're working on...I might change my technique or alter the tuning.

3. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    It depends.
    For some songs, the bassline just needs to be supportive, nothing super-creative or flashy. In those cases the line usually just writes itself when you play through the changes and consider the dynamics of the tune.

In other instaces, the song requires a strong bassline. In those cases, you usually need time to figure out what to play - mind you, a bassline is sometimes as much a composition as the tune itself.

As for myself, I have played the bass for a while and have an "artillery" of good basslines that I sometimes use or borrow from. They are great to have in your back pocket for when you can't come up with a bassline of your own. The history of music is full of borrowed basslines, so there's nothing to be ashamed about. :D