Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When you are not 100% satisfied with you bass, what to do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by semborg, Dec 26, 2005.

1. When you are not 100% satisfied with you bass, what to do?

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

A new set of strings and a good set up can sometimes help you reconnect.

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    1. suck it up because im poor
    2. neglect it till im in the mood for that sound
    3. mod it
    4. sell it
    5. tear it apart and repaint it, replace every peice of hardware on it, install a Pup that cost twice as much then the bass did originaly, defret and epoxy coat the neck, redrill the headstock to a 3+1 design and veneer it with zebrawood, then jam on it hardcore style : )

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There's no such thing. That's why there's GAS. ;)

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I don't think basses are supposed to be 'perfect'. I think that there should always be a sort of struggle/conflict going on with a bass that you are playing to keep you playing hard. Keep playing it/fighting with it until you are more comfortable with the thing.
    The other option is to get a Sadowsky.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    A mistake I've made too many times :p

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree.

What are you not satisfied with?

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Isint that the Truth ! :bassist:

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What is lacking? That's the question.

If you don't get a good "Vibe" from it, get rid of it. If you do, keep it and make it yours.

10. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    For me it's usually "bye bye." I did make an exception for my Bongo and replaced the nut. Glad I did. I loooove this bass!

11. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Sell it and buy an even more expensive/well built bass, so it takes you longer to tire of it :p

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Do NOT visit the basses forum!

Seriously.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  14. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    What is not right about it? There is a lot that can be done with a bass to make it into a playable instrument. I like to divide this into two aspects.

1.Playability
    2.Sound

Number one starts with a setup that gets the bass to feel and play the way you like. Almost every bass that I've ever looked at could use some serious attention to the nut. This one area is way overlooked by factorys when they are assembled. Proper relief, and action of the strings as well as the right pickup height are critical before you can evaluate the sound of a bass.

Number two starts with me listening to the bass un-amplified. I want to hear how the bass responds and sounds with it's own voice before I alter it with an amp. If I like what I hear this way I'll proceed to plug it in. I'll use an amp that I'm familier with and try several different eq settings. My opinion though is this. If I like the way it feels and plays, and if it sounds good acoustically, I'll probably take it. To me, pickups are easily swappable if the other areas hit home.

So, back to you. What are you not satisfied with?

15. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Lots of things!! ...if you can afford it...

1.Replacing strings: rarely does that a lot of difference
    2.Change onboard preamp, and pick-ups: can do A LOT!!
    3.Change the neck
    4...........if you can afford all of the above: you can afford a new bass...

5. Buy a Warwick

16. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    5. Buy a Warwick[/QUOTE]

Schweeeet ;)

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I am sure that all of us will admit that the 100% perfect bass does not exist. Otherwise what's the point in having multiple basses? Warwicks, Sadowskis, Wish etc. etc. The fact that some folks own multiple copies of the same brand means that each one had a (perceived or real) shortcoming that was addressed by the one purchased after it.

So I guess that's my answer!

The perfect bass is the one that can be made to morph shapes and styles and change colors and options.

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    1-Can it be fixed.
    2-Is it sound or playability?
    If sound, strings, pickups, or amp will change sound.
    If playability, setup, nut, or neck?
    3- Do you want to keep bass?
    4-Get something else?
    I play and own more than one bass.
    Many members of this forum due.
    I may want a P-bass with flats?
    A Jazz bass with roundwounds?
    A fretless bass?
    A 6-string bass?
    The right bass for the right gig?
    Whatever makes you happy?

19. I totally agree here that you need to figure out which of these two (or both) you're not satisfied with. For me, my Jazz Bass played like a dream. I loved the neck, the feel of the bass, but the tone wasn't doing it for me. I went so far as to buy a set of Ultra Jazz pickups, but I never installed them and sold them a few weeks later. Then, on an off chance, I decided to try TI Jazz Flats. It's been over a year with that same set of Jazz Flats and I've never loved my bass more. Check the little things first before you make any big chance or big decision - you may have a great bass that is just hiding underneath some aspects you don't like.