When you buy, do you look into the future?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Oct 30, 2005.

1. When your looking for a new rig, like I am... how far into the future do you look?

I mean, I have a 25 watt combo now. I cant even jam with my buddies with it. There is an eden wt400 available used, which I really like the tone of but if we decide to play gigs or I find a band I may need more volume. Which brings in going up in wattage, to like a torkville xs800h. My influences are mainly rock so volume will be necessary...

Theres the dilema... Here are the options....

Buy the wt400 and a 2x10, jam and have fun... if i need more later upgrade. BEcause the eden tone rocks.

Buy a xs800H new, have headroom for whenever I need it because 800 will be plenty anywhere...and a cough 2x10

Or just get what I *need* like a 200 watt combo, financially the best option.

I mean, if i were made of $$ I'd jump on an eden 800. or whatever....
  2. i dont think most people on here will agree with me, since lots of headroom seems to be a must around here. i gig witha loud electronica/rock band with a 90 watt hartke, it's enough for stage volume and i di if the venue is big enough to warrant it, i say go for what sounds best to your ears and will put out enough for decent stage monitering, to me 800 is overkill i think 200 would be quite sufficent. i love eden tone so i personally would go for that option, but i think if the combo is more in your price range it wont kill youjust try it out and make sure you can a get a good tone out of it first
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I don't look too much into the future, but I do peer deep into my wallet.

Buy as much power as you can afford. It is never a bad thing when someone asks you to turn down. It IS a bad thing when you get asked to turn up, and you've already got it cranked.

4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Agreed- get as much as your wallet will let you. You want to stay at least one step ahead of your current needs, but don't buy liek youa re going on a national tour if you are just booking a monthly bar gig. A good idea is to get more amp than you need, but just enough cab to satisfy, that way you can just slap another cab on if you need mroe volume. You need to buy 8 ohm cans for that in most cases, but it depends on the amp.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Keep in mind that 2x the watts results in a 3 db increase, and you need 10x the watts to be 2x as loud. The point is that you could get by with the Eden over the Yorkie if you like how it sounds. The Yorkie will not be much louder.

6. This is the answer of the hour. along with the other which is the same :).

I work fulltime now, and live at home. So I could splurge, HOWEVER, I go back to school in a couple months(january) and wont have much of an income anymore.

Basically I can buy almost anything, but then I wont have the dough for other recreations. Right now I have 2K in the bank with no current expenses.

Now for the other comment, the yorkie wont be that much louder? really? hm.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Unless you're playing in AC/DC, a 400 watt amp should be all the amp you'll ever need. I would, however, get at least a 4 x 10". A 2 x 10" is great for small gigs, but half the battle in being loud enough for any situation is being able to move air. And in a lot of situations, a 2 x 10" might not move enough air. I use a 400 watt amp (SWR) with a 4 x 10" in some mighty loud bands, and have never been asked to turn up so loud that I couldn't deliver.
  8. the 2x10 is for protability, when i need to move more air I'll add a 1x15 or another 2x10.
  9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

So get a Schroeder 1210 or 1212, that way you'll get portability and the ability to move some air at the same time.

As far as powering yourself, spend some time on the weekends going and listening to bands and talk to the bass players when they go on break.
    They may not like talking to guys on break, but they do love to tell you about their equipment!
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sure, I think of the future. I carry a lot more watts than I generally need, but I don't get PA assist and sometimes play outdoor gigs. Better to have watts and not need 'em than to need 'em and not have 'em.
  11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Get the WT400. I just bought a 550 and love it.

Look realistically into the future and your wallet. The 400 will get you through almost any gig. If not, you'll probably have PA support anyway. Then all you need is a stage monitor and the 400 will do just fine.

A 2X10 will also probably get you through most gigs.

I use a 1X12 with my 550 and it's fine. I've been outside, inside, electric, upright, whatever. When I get the head in a bag I'll be able to load in and out on 1 trip. My back also appreciates the light weight and portability.
  12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    First off. Buy for tone and then volume. As MJ notes, you can never have too much headroom. The limitation is that bass gear pushed to it's limit's tends to fail and failure is not an option ...

In your case, the Eden is a clear choice to me.

1. 400 watts of Eden is enought to get ridicuously loud IF you choose an efficient cabinet. Do so...

2. The Eden is damned near a rock standard in the same way that Ampeg is. The Yorkie, while probably not a bad amp is another more or less generic SS amplifier. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. I consider my GK 1001 to be more or less the same. I need the flexibility to go in lot's of different directions. Rock, funk, blues, jazz, folkie songwriter... So for me a GK and some outboard gear is really flexible. That kind of precludes an amp with a charater of it's own...

3. You dig the sound of the Eden. Do not compromise on that sound you like. There's days where my basses sounds so friggin' good to me that it's truly inspiring and all kinds of new stuff pours out...

4. The Eden has a great pre and a great DI. Take it into the studio and use it as an advanced, dedicated bass only channel strip.

Learn to manage your stage volume and 400 watts is more than sufficient. I'm runing my GK at 8 ohms for 480 watts. I don't generally have the boost above 1/4 to 1/2 and the master above 1/2 and my input is maybe 1/4. That will bury a drummer with sticks and no mics. There's plenty of headroom on tap and my amp is more or less loafing as I like it to.

Oh yeah - you're way the hell up there in the fridgid north right - so what else is there to do in the winter (October through say July ?) other than study, wood shed your bass and gig for the Polar Bears ?

(only kidding ... but I'd take Calgary in a heartbeat...)
  13. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    So, you like the eden tone. Case closed. thats the head. That 400 watts will be more than enough. I mean plenty. others commented on PA support above, and i ditto that.

"the 210 is for portability"...
    Ok, desciion made. When needed, get a separate 1x15, like you said. Make sure they are BOTH 8ohm, so you can run 4ohm total later on. (PLAN that ahead.)

OR, you could do the one time splurge now, and have a rig amny would LOVE to have. Eden wt400 and a schroeder 1210. The schro is 210 sized, but is a 410 in disguise.
    It is portable, small, and wil lbe so seriously much louder than you think. You will kill caribou with the volume.

the eden is a forgone conclusion.

Splurge now on a great setup, cause when money is tight and you have responsibilities, you wont be able to. IWISH I COULD GO BACK to your situation and buy my gear. DO IT RIGHT!

14. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    3db and twice as loud are one in the same. 3db is a 100% increase, or, twice the volume.

Anyway, I find that a modular system, a cab and head, will take you into the future easier than a combo. Having said thatr, I own a decent combo, as well, both as backup, and for when I get tired of lugging heavy things. I have also found that 200-ish watts is a good level for keeping up with a guitar and drums, but the more power you have, the more headroom you will have, which is a good thing. I currently use a 450 watt head, and am happy with it's power.

All said and done, buy as much power as you can afford, but never compromise sound quality for it.
  15. Note: A 3 dB increase in volume does not sound twice as loud. That requires a 10 dB increase in volume, as our ears respond in a logarithmic fashion. This means that to sound twice as loud, we require 10X the power.

16. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I would agree get the Eden and get an 8 ohm cab (2x10) if you prefer. You can later add another 8ohm cab to complete to rig if necessary.

If you can try out the 2x10 by itself and paired with a 15, that will give you the idea of if that's what you want. You may also want to try a single 12 and eventually add a second.

I personally prefer 15s and 18s from Bag End and have stayed away from the 10s but I don't think that is the concensus around here.

Good luck!
  17. IMO, I would get the WT400 as it is clearly the one you prefer tonewise, and I'm sure it will have plenty of volume for most gigs. I have always liked its tone too, although I have never owned one (got an Alembic F1-X, then an iAMP instead). I would also seriously consider the Shroeder 1210. I would love to try one of those cabs out. From what I hear, it is the size of a 210, but the volume of a 410. I would get the 8ohms version which would give you the option of adding a second one later.

My $0.02

18. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    1. 400 watts of Eden is plenty of power. Get it.

2. Many have suggested the Schroeder 1210. I haven't tried it. However, last week I bought a Bag End S15-D and now my 4x10 is obsolete. The S15 has more lows yet has the mid cut and punch of the 4x10. Its about the size of most 1x12s. With the 4x10 (wired at 2 ohms) my head pushes 450 watts and with the 8 ohm S15 it does about 170 or so. The 4x10 is just slightly louder... if they were both 8 ohms the 15 would definitely be louder than the 4x10.

Personally, I think this cab is magic. I've suggested it in at least three different amp threads since I got it last week. I suggest it again in this thread. It'll beat a 2x10, and maybe the Schroeder but I wouldn't be the guy to ask about that since I haven't tried one.
  19. I (like you) am thinking of an amp upgrade, and I stil live at home - I love the sound of my little Kustom 16-watt amp over my Trace 300-watt hands down, and it just so happens that Kustom do a bloody loud (1200w) amp which I am gonna get when I find a good band...(I can understand my dads opinion "your not gettting it till you've got a band doing gigs") ...in my opinion, 1200watts would be loud enough to last me forever so I'm gonna get that one (with nice tone and high watts) NOW, so I'll not have to upgrade (barr a cab) loads in the future...makes sense really dunnit?

Just choose the loudest one with the best tone you can find, even if it costs quite a lot it'll be worth it in the long run in my opinion...you say you like the eden 400 watt one, do eden do one in the same series with more watts you could have a look at? - if not then just get the one with the best tone...it'll annoy you if you don't like the tone and you'll be buying PODs and V-amps in a few years...(I'm talking from experience here...)