1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When you cant test them ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Back2Bass, Sep 27, 2013.

1. I've got GAS bad for a new head and the ones I want to try out are not carried at any local store. I'm looking at the GK fusion mb-800, the Peavey vb-2 , Markbass TTE-800 and the TC-electronic rh750. I'm using a Ampeg pf500 (I know) that has had zero problems with a tech 21 sans amp driver to fill out the sound.

Looking at online demos is ok I guess but its not the same as playing with my bass.

I have a local guitar center but they only carry the basic combos and a Ampeg svt that's been there a year and a couple markbass heads but not the one I want to try. a couple mom and pops That have mesa or peavey(but not a vb-2).

Any advice from those who have played a couple of these. I don't want to order and return a couple times to get
    "that" tone I'm looking for.

2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    What tone are you looking for?
    What cabs do you have right now?
    What kind of setting do you need/want it for?
    How many different styles of music are you playing?

Answer these questions and TB should help you narrow down which amps to go after.

My suggestion would be to use TB's classified.
    You can get a better price plus resale it for the same price if you decide it's not for you!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just buy that SVT ;)

But seriously, there really is no good way to audition amps other than looking at demos on Youtube if you can't play them. Nothing wrong with that PF500, though. It's a very nice little amp if you ask me. I don't have one but I have a PF350 and it's been a great little amp for a couple years. But while vids aren't always the greatest, the good ones do give you a pretty good idea of what they do and can at least help you make a short list.