Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When You Go To A Store For A New Bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimpChunk9, Sep 18, 2002.

1. LimpChunk9

LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    When you go to a store to play basses that you're interested in, what do you play? Do you play certain riffs to discover the limits of the basses tone? Please give a few examples and satisfy my curiosity

Personally, I play pic and slap and finger. Just to see how the bass works with different techniques.

Also, I made this thread in this forum because it seemed fitting seeing how its about new basses.

2. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    i play the basses i'm interested in.

HAH im so funny (or not). I usually try to play the broadest range of styles/music I can, but everything sounds way better than my home amp so I just give up.

3. just play some nice slow groovin tunes, test out the tone and what not, go a little crazy but in limits. nothings worse than someone trying to show off in music stores, its mostly a waste of time(especially all those little 14 year old punks who think their flea, but when they play make fieldy look like a bass god...)

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just like with test driving cars, test the bass as you would use it.

5. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Firstly, if I'm looking to buy, I won't even test drive a bass unless they've got a rig similar to mine( SVT pro3 with an 8x10 cab. So that's usually not a problem )

Next, I take a small club and render unconcious all the other prospective bass purchasers who are slapping ridiculous, annoying lines. Any one playing Korn gets taken outside for extra "attention":D

As for what I play, just alot of single ringing notes in all the ranges to get a feel for the basses character and test the limits of the tone controls. If I start playing songs, I listen to the tune more than the tone.

If I like what I hear I'll play around with different styles

"some kind of wonderful"- Grand Funk
    "Catholic Girls ", "Valley Girl" -Zappa ( Sorry, folks, just can't pull off "Tink walks Amok" or "Rubber Shirt" quite yet)
    "Johnny kick a hole in the Sky"-RHCP
    " Detroit Rock City"- Kiss ( just the cool verse part)
    ;)
    " Run to the Hills"- Iron Maiden

About this time , if I like the bass and the cops haven't come for me for the clubbing bit, I'll buy the bass.

I'm sure this wasn't helpful at all. Sorry:p

6. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I tend to play a few things on the basses I try out to see if they can be as versatile as I want. I'll usually play the bass lines to

~ Rappers Delight/Good Times
    ~ Blink 182 - Carousel (just the beginning... actually, check it out, cuz its the best 30 seconds of their entire catalog)
    ~ 311 - Creature Feature (to try to get a warm quasi-fretless sound out of a fretted)
    ~ RHCP - Californication
    ~ Reel Big Fish - Nothin' (just the end part where its slower... thats a cool part too)
    ~ Stanley Clarke - School Days
    ~ Limp Bizkit - Rearranged (they suck, but thats a cool line)
    ~ Dave Matthews - Crush
    ~ improv blues and funk lines (MINIMAL slapping:D )

That usually will tell me if I can get a good warm tone, a good slap tone, and a good pick tone...

- Dave

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The first thing I do is turn all control on the amp to 12 o'clock plug in and just play total ad lib for a few minutes. By doing this I get to feel the fretboard an action in my hand instead of trying to impress somebody with something I praticed for a day cause I knew I was coming to a music store. Then maybe after I warm up I will play some jamerson or thump some funk.

8. -Look for dead notes on the neck.
    -Listen to where and how the tone controls change the sound.

-How much work is it to play?

-Good idea about the rig you're playing through being like your own.

-Make sure you go with your gut: it's good to have a solid idea of what you want and stick with it. If you don't you'll hear some other guy playing "your sound", etc, and kick yourself!

-In the end, if you like it, get it. The looking into and thinking has to end somewhere! Life is too short to be tormented about it.

Stewbone.

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Like Stew, I check for dead notes, usually from B to D on the G string of Fender or Fender-type instruments... Then I try to overlook the setup inadequacies that ARE GOING TO BE THERE, and try to see the instrument as it will be after I set it up... Then I ususally just noodle stuff in a blues vein, test out the pots for weird tapers, (like the MIM Jazz I bought Thursday)... Funky electronics or a bad setup won't scare me off from a bass, as I know that I can remedy these things within an hour of getting it home. In fact, they are quite the bargaining tools when it comes time to talk price!

-robert

10. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    I just play scales up and down neck.

Cheers.

11. First of all, I bring my trusty SR5. I've been play this bass for the past 6 years. When I first pick up a new bass I sometimes get dazzled by the new sound and feel. I need to have my main ax with me to make sure my brain isn't playing tricks on me. Then I play finger style and slap style with the controls set flat. If there is anything I don't like at this point, I put the instrument down and move on. I all is OK I start playing with the controls to see what a variety of sounds I can get. When I'm finished, I pick up my SR5 and play it a while and then I make my decision.

(that's how I do it)

12. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Good idea to take another Bass with you...the one you know and trust...so they're both going through the same shop amp.

Cheers.

13. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I do the same and bring a bass with me to get the amp at the store dialed in.

Check for dead spots

I usually play

Freewill--Rush (bass solo part)
    Red Barchetta--Rush
    Ramble On--Led Zeppelin
    Daytripper--Beatles
    What is and What should never be--Led Zeppelin

14. Just remember that it's not crap if you don't think it's crap.

15. Like many others, I'll try to take one of my basses with me. Most of the time I go into music stores it isn't planned though.

Anyway, I'll start off with a few scales, to get a feel for the fingerboard. If it has a lot of knobs and switches, I'll fiddle with them awhile.

Crap I play when I testing out basses
    Fur Elise - Beethoven
    Black Dog - Zep.
    Whichever Black Sabbath song I end up playing
    Then same ad lib type stuff.

I dunno, it's not like I have a set list with me when I go in to test out a bass, I typically just play what I feel.

But Beethoven can impress people, I'm getting pretty good at Moonlight Sonata, Stu Hamm style, so that wil get played on my next trip out to a music store.