1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When you hear slapping today?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Mar 28, 2009.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    When you hear this technique utilized today,does it still sound like the 80's to you even though the technique has evolved with some new voices applying it today?

2. I almost always hear it from someone who shouldn't be using it, trying to be flashy, cramming in as many notes as possible. For that reason it reminds me of cheesy 80's metal tapping guitar solo's. However, like anything else if it's done tastefully it can sound great.

3. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    I think the varied 'voices' allow me to hear it fresh today.

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Slap used on current compositions by current artists doesn't sound 80's (or 70's) at all, if it's done tastefully with fresh ideas and approaches. Well performed music is timeless and escapes the concept of sounding dated, to my ears at least.

I can understand where some disagreement with my opinion could exist, though.

5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Nope. I tend to think of more funk inspired rock and punk like RHCP, Infectious Grooves, and Primus.

I also listen to a lot of jam bands who frequently use slap bass lines as the melody and basis for their 10 minute jams. Most of them tend to switch between many different styles during the song though. Very tastefully too!

But I probably listen to the wrong kind of music.

6. The only slap I can really get into these days is when Claypool does it because no one really sounds like him.

7. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    When slap or any technique, for that matter, is applied without regard to any musical principle or for the substance of the song it's wankery.

Flash is okay as long as there is legit substance behind it. Even Coltrane's oft-imitated sheets of sound principle would be worthless if not for the sincerity of the iconoclast, himself.

8. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    No.

9. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    I hate slap. Everyones ruined it for me just like singers and string players have ruined vibrato for me. Not saying I don't use it myself 'cause I do. But I'm a person who uses it with balance. Going to music school has really made me look down upon Vibrato much like I look down upon slap. Most Nooby people and or regular people think if you slap your good and if you don't you're not. People think you need to slap real fast. It's stupid. You go into a music store and that's all you hear when someone sits down to play and generally it's not that good. The music school I go to is classical based and It drives me insane that people think the only way to make something sound beautiful is by using vibrato. I absolutely am so distasteful to slap and vibrato just by the overuse and the misconception that everyone has upon it like it's god or something. When it's not it's just a musical technique used to give a different sound or expression. It's rediculous. I love listening to slap players but it's definitely harder for me to choose to listen to it 'cause everyones ruined it for me. This goes for more modern slap that is. You don't ever see someone sit down in a music store and just lay down a fat groove. Maybe that's why I still listen to 80s funk over new aged slap funk. Thanks for reading my rant.

10. I just don't enjoy the sorts of music where slap bass guitar is a prominent feature.

Actually, the one exception to the above is Leigh Gorman's playing in Bow Wow Wow, but they are so singularly unique, and his amazing playing with them encompasses many other styles and techniques.

But I don't associate the slap technique with any time period when I hear it today. I mean, it wouldn't sound appropriate for certain styles of music that were around before the 70's and 80's, but that's about it.

12. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    +1

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The anti-slap sentiment can get pretty silly, IMO. Why would someone checking out gear at NAMM or the local GC be trying to sound really musical? Generally, I just try to get an idea of the instrument's tone and playability. Slap is an easy way to do those things, and it is a convenient reflex when I'm not trying to really think.

I know of very few actual commercial recordings where players noodle around slapping like they do in music stores.:confused:

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good slap reminds me of 70's music.

16. I like when Rob from MOE. slaps,......makes my booty shake!!...i think more 70's than 80's......IMO..

17. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY

around 2:38

not too complicated but still quite awesome

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote my post.

19. Yup!!Then You must know of
    Oteil Burbridge....when that guy slaps,I dont know what to think!!!!!:bassist:

20. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    ^Oh yeah! That dude just jams!