Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When you play, doesn't it have that annoying sound?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Phunky, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm a newbie, and i was wondering that when you switch fast to a different fret (for an example) it will sound like "svish" and get really annoying, i guess it's the strings, i have an old bass, what kinda strings do you recommend?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'm guessing it's a result of having roundwound strings on your bass!

If you want to avoid that string noise you can get various other strings, flatwound, half round, some coated strings will do away with it.

However, all of these are IMHO a compramise and will affect the tone of the strings - ie flatwounds won't 'svish' but aren't quite as bnright as roundwounds!

I use roundwounds myself, you just have to practise your technique and minimise it (and live with what's left I'm afraid). Otherwise try other strings (tried flatwounds - didn't like em!)

Not sure what's available in Sweden - EBS strings perhaps? Try some fresh rounds.....and then maybe some flats (depending on money....) and see what you like! :)

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Just practice until you don't hear it anymore. :rolleyes:

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's called finger noise. Fresh rounds tend to have MORE of it, actually. You can turn down the treble on your amp or the tone knob on your bass to reduce it. It's mostly a technique thing -- don't move up and down the neck with your fingers on the strings, unless you're actually sliding a note.

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Yup. Sounds like a technique issue. Keep practicing and go to an instructor.

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    w8 untill you start hearing a "clic" sound when you press the strings, i have that problem and i cant do anything about it

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This thread illustrates quite nicely, why you need a teacher!! ;)

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well im selftaught & i learned since i started playing the bass year & a half ago slap, fingerstyle (i started playing with a pic), tapping & its the first instrument i have ever played

9. Bruce Lindfield

Exactly! So - at a one-to-one session, a decent teacher would have been able to determine the cause of the "clic" and sort it out in a few minutes - not a year and a half!! :)

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Technique...

11. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    The 'swish' can be quite annoying at times, but lets face some issues:
    1. When you play in a band (i.e. there are at least one guitatist and a drummer 'xcept you) the finger noise wouldnt be heard (almost).
    2. At times it can even give some edge to the sound - it sounds more natural and warm... You got the point...
    3. As was said, enough practice would help to eliminate finger noise. :) The more you practice, the more your finger movements would look like an arch and not like a straight line. I had the same problem myself when I started learning acoustic guitar, but then the finger noise was aplified by the soundbox. Good luck!

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You guys might be missing the obvious.

We have here a 'newbie' who who gets string-slide noise whenever he 'switches fast to another fret'. How often do WE slide our finger on a string between notes? We usually just use a DIFFERENT FINGER, which is already poised directly over the place where it needs to be, right?

Maybe he's fretting with less than four fingers with which to cover the neck position (...less than two?) .

Make sense, sphishy?

Joe

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

so you can play A-3 and then a Harmonic on the same string on the 12 fret with out moving your hand?

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    V-N said:
    "so you can play A-3 and then a Harmonic on the same string on the 12 fret with out moving your hand?"

Dude. Newbie - we're talkin' NEWBIE here.

...and if I WERE to do that, it probably wouldn't squeak so bad. I thought of another thing: If his fingers are 'new' also, then not only does he not have hard fingertips like most of us, but he may be pressing harder than he has to (still developing finesse on that hand) - this could all work together, because it'll press the shape of the string windings into grooves in his tender finger tips (or finger TIP - I still think this might have something to do with it), which will exascerbate the slide noise.

Just trying to help, Man -

Joe

15. Bruce Lindfield

Well this is the whole point about my "teacher" comments......Maybe - but without being in front of the person seeing what they are actually doing, we could speculate all day, to no effect whatsoever!! :meh:

But a teacher could see what was going wrong in a few minutes and suggest aprpopriate action for practice to correct this.

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I kinda disagree, I think this thread illustates perfectly why you should practice and use your ears. I.e . if it sounds good, do it again, if it doesnt sounds good, work how to make it sound good and keep doing that instead.

I spent ten years playing without a teacher, sure I could have probably learnt a whole lot faster wth one, but regardless, a teacher cant tell you what sounds you do or dont like, only your ears can do that... and only pratice can allow you to get a half decent sound from the instrument.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well what I mean is that - there's nothing we can do to correct this problem via the internet and we are just wasting our time sitting here guessing what might be wrong - you need to be in front of the person looking at what they are doing to see if there is anything they can correct.

So the original poster wants to know what he's doing wrong and is asking us - fair enough if he was prepared to keep going and keep trying to improve on his own by trial and error - then OK - I did the same myself for many years. But he wants an answer and it can only come from somebody sitting down with him and seeing what is happening!

I was also directly referring/replying to vene nemesis' comments :

"w8 untill you start hearing a "clic" sound when you press the strings, i have that problem and i cant do anything about it"

Obviously there is something that could be done - and I would bet you ten quid (at least!!) , that a decent teacher sitting in front of him/her could identify what was causing that 'clic' (sic) and how to start correcting it, in one lesson!! ;)

18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK I'll give you that one, but dont get used to it ;)

By the way did you see the "Dr. Bass" flyers going round in Glamorgan? The bassist with the acoutsic BG, slim looking guy in his late 40's I'd say.. well, he was handing out flyers touting for work. I only found out from one of the assistant tutors! As if the concept wasnt embarrassing enough in itself the flyers were absolutely dreadful!

I was really encouragiong of him all week cause he wasnt a particularly accomplished player and was working really hard to nail the grooves in the jazz club gigs on the nights his group played... I felt almost cheated when I found out the guy was touting for work!!!

19. Bruce Lindfield

Yes that's true - that's why I usually say a "decent" teacher!! ;)
    He was there last year as well and it was a bit embarassing - I mean he was OK, but he said he didn't play solos and as you say, he seemed to be struggling to keep up with some stuff and his left-hand fingers were slipping off the frets creating extraneous noise.... maybe he wouldn't have been able to "diagnose" and treat the problems mentioned here!! :D

Sorry - that was a truly awful pun!! ;)

But I suppose there is a sense in which self-awareness comes into this whole equation - if you don't realise your own shortcomings, how can you deal with other people's? :meh:

I think that's why going to classes or things like that Summerschool are good (presuming you do have a bit of self-awareness) as you are quickly made aware of what you need to work on and where you are lacking!!

20. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yes, that's completely true. i came away with a very clear path to the next stage, something i struggled with before in that there's so much to learn and focussing on the right things can be difficult. i'm sorted now tho, i have avery clear view of how to move forward.

in terms of awareness, i expected to be the least experienced player there, i expected to be the guy who cant read good, who cant jam on jazz changes, the guy with the weakest technique and the least understanding and awareness... i came back having a greater appreciation that i'm not actually a bad player - that the hard work i've pt in has paid off... but OBVIOUSLY still with that huge "there's so much to learn" feeling... it's a nice place to be right now i think :)

dr bass was obviously a bit isolated in some respects