1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When you practice, are you...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jacknotjohnbass, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Standing

30.7%
  2. Sitting

62.8%
  3. Other

6.5%
  1. I personally stand, but I’m not sure if there’s one way better than the other.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. DuckSoup

DuckSoup

Dec 20, 2017
    Colorado
    Both, but mostly standing since I will be playing standing at live settings.

3. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    Same. I find playing my standard guitars it matters little, probably because when I was young I learned classical technique sitting and that's comfortable for me. Also, I don't gig on 6-string.

I play my basses more comfortably and capably standing. I try to work on the "entertainer" role while practicing, moving around as I would in a gig gets me more comfortable at game time. I don't jump around like Flea or anything, but I try not to emulate Roy Orbison either.

Also, sitting is bad for humans and that extra little bit of exercise is a plus.

MattZilla, Sixgunn, JC Nelson and 6 others like this.
  4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I stand. Practice like you gig.
    Simulate the actual performance as much as possible.

If could I'd hire a sound guy to bury me under the kick drum
    and not have enough monitors for me.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  5. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I practice reading and musical concepts sitting, songs I practice standing.

6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Depends on why I'm practicing. Academics or Art? If it's academics (learning the fingerboard, theory exercises, lots of just listening or writing without playing, and learning brand new stuff), I sit for maximum comfort and concentration. If it's art, that is, if I'm working up the material for an upcoming gig in which I'll be standing, I'll stand.

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I play sitting, so I practice while sitting.

8. I wear my bass high on my chest. Same spot sitting or standing. I can be sitting and then stand up and the guitar is in the same spot on my chest. So all my wrists angles, etc. remain the same sitting or standing.

I practice sitting and play gigs standing.

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I sit most of the time. But, since I also do vocals in two bands, I do sometimes set up a mic on a stand and practice standing up when I'm first starting to work on putting together playing and singing at the same time.

IOW, when I first start learning a new song I usually work on playing and singing separately until I start feeling a little more comfortable doing each individually. Then I practice standing up at a mic when I'm ready to work on doing both.

Once I know I song, then I get lazy again and will sit most of the time.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    wesonbass and Jacknotjohnbass like this.
  10. Backdrop

Backdrop

Feb 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    When figuring out a line or making one up I usually sit. Once it's down I'll practice standing up.

gln1955 and Jacknotjohnbass like this.
  11. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    For me, sitting is for creating or learning. If I'm standing, it's not bona fide practice.

12. I sit when I’m practicing alone. I don’t think it matters (YMMV). I also rarely plug in when practicing alone. I also call band playing together “practice” not “rehearsal” (I ain’t an actor or a machine, man).

wesonbass and Jacknotjohnbass like this.
  13. I also have my strap set for either sitting or standing.. Sitting is my personal practice position.. Standing when at band rehearsal and of course "Live".:thumbsup:

gebass6 likes this.
  14. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    IMO:
    Sitting- when I am working out a passage/transcribing, or testing/trying something out.
    Standing- when I am practicing/rehersing because that's the way I play/gig.

If someone wants to sit when they play, that's fine; as long as that is the way they are going to play/gig. Hands, arms, fingers are in a slightly different position due to positioning of the instrument.
    If someone sits when they practice, but stand when they play/gig they run the risk of a more improper technique resulting in errors. Arms, hands, and fingers are also in a different position than that of sitting.
    As erect of posture as possible in each style is very important. Try not to slouch in either.
    ...been there, done that, and bad habits are a mug to break...done that too.
    Good luck.

Methaneman and DrThumpenstein like this.
  15. I practice standing until my legs and back start bothering me... usually about 2-3 hours. Then I’ll sit for maybe 30-45 minutes, but then it’s back to standing. Yes, I enjoy practicing and learning, although at times it becomes frustrating. I’m addicted!

16. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    I learn and woodshed sitting. New songs ect. Then when I’m done and I want to reherse the song along with the recording I stand up for a “live fire exercise”. Just in case. Even for acoustic gigs on bass I stand. I sing a lot and I hate singing while sitting. Can’t project.

Nashrakh likes this.
  17. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Depends.. I sit straight on a chair if I'm practicing bass in general. However If I'm practicing for a particular show with a set list, I stand as I mostly use pedals and stepping on them at the right time is a part of playing the instrument. If I sing I set up a dummy mic as well.

DrThumpenstein and Nashrakh like this.
  18. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    For most of the music I play, it doesn't really matter how I practice. The only exception would be reading gigs; I've discovered I have a tougher time playing off the sheets when standing (maybe my brain needs more auxilliary power that way). So I practice the reading material sitting down first to map out fingerings on the fret board, then switch to standing when I can play at tempo. This is usually big band stuff, we rehearse sitting down but often it's a gamble whether we can sit at a gig or not. This has actually caught me off guard once. Since then, I make sure I can play the material both ways.

For the other stuff, which is mostly pumping roots or some easy triadic walking, the difference in standing vs sitting is not that big. Know where the notes are and you're good to go.

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  19. I have a drummer's throne that know's I'm king, at least when practicing.

20. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Practice sitting, usually. Rehearse standing up, usually, unless I'm tired. Always standing up the rehearsal before a show. Practice to me is what I do on my own. Rehearsal is when the band comes by.