When you should upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlu, Jul 20, 2005.

1. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    my good buddy has started playing bass about a year ago when he heard me play with my band. He is always asking me when he should start shopping ofr a new bass. I tell him i dont kno i was playing for about 4 years before i got mine. which was a bit late.

What is you opinion as to when he should get a knew bass. And what bass would u recommend. He is a funk rock player.
  2. Whenever you feel like your first just wont give you what you need anymore.

Im shopping for my second bass, and am looking into a Warwick Corvette Standard Active 4.

3. The common person upgrades when he/she has a yearning desire to hear certain elements in their sound that aren't happening, or when there are factors about their current instrument (i.e weight, feel, playability) that don't enhance the playing experience. They seek out an instrument (or with this group, instruments) that will help fine hone those factors to make them a better player.

People like me only upgrade when your old reliable beasts start to fall apart, despite all the bubble gum and scotch tape you've used.

As for a funk playing machine, I'd start with a jazz or a MM, and their respective clones. Those are always a safe bet.
  4. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I've been playing for about 8 months and already have 3 basses :D

Granted, the most expensive one was my Taurus that was $320, the others were less than $120 each. I just set them all up differently for different things. For slapping I like higher action, but I want lower when I'm playing normally, so I set them up like that. I also practice on my cheap ones and only rehearse with my Taurus because it's so much easier to play and learning stuff on my cheap Washburn makes it much easier to play well on my Taurus. My SX is being used for a vintage sound and is going to be strung up with flats for something totally different.

It all depends on what you need them for. If you only play one style and have a bass that you like, save your money, although even if I only played one style I'd still probably buy a lot just because I get bored with just one after a while and want to switch to something else.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO when you feel what you have is lacking, or certainly feel like you've been playing long enough to know what tone and/or feel you need in a bass, it's time to upgrade.

There is no set time, it varies from person to person.
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yeah, I think the time to add a bass to your arsenal is when you want to hear something new come out of your fingers that can't be done with your other basses. This can be more strings, different electronics, another bass for different kinds of strings, etc.

For funk rock, Musicmans would likely be the way to go.
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    "upgrade" is a relative term. We tend to think of this as getting something "better". It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I look to an upgrade as trying to overcome deficiencies with an instrument I have. It may be an extra string, wider string spacing or different pickups.

In other cases it may be electronics and woods. I really depends on what I'm trying to do.
    This time is different for everyone. I have over 10 basses. Primarily because of what they have to offer to solve my problem. One of my favorite basses right now is parts bass that I put together. Total cost $300.
  8. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    A new bass inspires..promoting practicing and/or showing off which prompts more practice cause you don't want to be all show and no go. For a beginner, show a little restraint til you're sure what you want and know what to look for.
  9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I despise doing this, but...

+1, Tim. ;)

In my words, it would be when you feel that your current bass is holding you back from your potential as a musician. To a certain degree is is a nebulous term - it could mean something as concrete as moving up/down a string (or, with this crowd, several), string-spacing, or a *physical* characteristic. It could also mean "tone", or a method of construction that would suit your playing style and "sound" better (bolt-on vs. neck-through)
  10. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I think that he is a descent player and could benefit from a better bass. He has progressed much faster than i did, do to his will to playh 24/7. He has an unlimited price range and was looking a a warwick streamer stage II. I think thats a little high up there for a player of his talent, but i let him play mine and he loves everything about. So what do u guys think about him getting a bass like that at such an early stage in playing. We wnt to the guitar store the other day and tried out there selection, and after that he still prefers the streamer. I think a jazz bass or a music man would benefit him the most. I just think that it is a big leap from a begginer bass to a proffesional Grade A bass. I told him what i thought, but his reply was if i get something great now while i have the money then i wont have to worry about a getting more basses.

Tell me ur input of this situation. I am not all trying to discouarge him for getting this bass, if he likes then fine. It is that i think he will learn to apraciate other basses more if takes one step at a time instead of taking a rinning jump for the ground the the 5th step. You could either miss the step, and fall
    or (if u are agood jump) land flat on ur feet and take a short cut
  11. ruffroka321

Sep 13, 2004
    i would say that when you need to get a new bass depends on what you have, how you play, and how satisfied you are with what you have. I know that this has pretty much all been said already, but here is what i went through with getting new basses: My first bass was a peice of **** Rogue that i thought was awesome when i got it for christmas. In less than a year i bought and Ibanez soundgear bass and i loved it. Most people don't think it is that good but i still do love it. the thin neck makes it feel great to play and the sound is fine, but i have experienced a lot of problems with this bass. after so much has gona wrong, i am now looking to "upgrade" to a spector legend because i love the tone and i'm sick of dealing with the ibanez, but i am only getting a new one because mine is more of a hassle than it's worth to me.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wahoo! It's been a slow week for me...