1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When you start feeling the rhythm differently then it is written

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by smither12, Mar 6, 2013.

1. smither12

smither12

Aug 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I have an app that tests sight reading and gives you a random rhythm based on the different levels (for example: level 1 is all quarter notes and quarter rests but level 8 would be 16th notes, 16th note rests, syncopation, ties etc.) and you have to tap to the rhythm, and you can have it test you and you can change the settings making it hard and easier etc.
    But I'm playing to a random rhythm on the app: and following it on my bass while reading it and it but for some reason a lot times I feel the rhythm differently then it is written, for example:
    Original Rythm: lxlx lo lxlo lx (lx = eight note lx = quarter note)
    What I feel: lo lxlxlx lo lx

Hope I explained it well -
    Just wondering if that matters, I mean I still feel the quarter note pulse....

EDIT: Also rhythm is being looped over and over again so I guess it really is more like a groove...

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'd say it matters if you're trying to improve your reading. If this were in a big-band situation, you might have a rhythm carried across multiple instruments, in which case you have to "play the ink."

Note that reading complicated syncopated rhythms is an area where I'd like to improve.

3. what app is it? Sounds kind of neat

4. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    I assume you mean "lo" = quarter note.

These are not the same:

lxlx lo lxlo lx (original)

lo lxlxlx lo lx (what you feel)

I think of notes as they relate to the position within the measure - on the 1st beat, on the 2nd beat, on the upbeat of the 1st beat etc, and not on the their durations.

So I would view the timing for those examples like this:
    Code:
    1         2        3         4              beat

lx - lx - lo - - - lx - lo - - - lx -      (original)

lo - - - lx - lx - lx - lo - - - lx -      (what you feel)

Possibly it might help to think of it like that.

5. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

Oct 28, 2012
    Simple way to notate rhythms via text:

Whole, Half, Quarter, eighth, sixteenth, thirty-second:
    W H Q e s t

Dotted:
    W. H. Q. e. s. t.

Tuplets aren't so forgiving. Perhaps something like this would suffice: Q e e 3:e e e] Q (everything between the 3: and the bracket is an eighth note triplet). That's expandable: Q. e 7:s s s s s s s] e. Septuplet sixteenth figure in there.

We also have symbols available for copy/paste (or unicode entry) in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f22/how-enter-musical-symbols-unicode-fonts-682171/

But the quarter note is weird and tiny, so I'll use the letters. Here is a continuous barrage of that rhythm:

eeQeQeeeQeQeeeQeQeeeQeQeeeQeQeeeQeQeeeQeQeeeQeQeeeQeQeeeQeQe

The red is what the app says is the rhythm, the blue is what you think is the rhythm. Notice anything? There are no barlines. They're part of the same continuum. Unless one of those notes in the cycle is heard as the downbeat (has an accent or different pitch or something), then there is nothing that says one is more correct than the other. You're not wrong, but you should try to hear it as that app wants you to hear it. Imagine the downbeat.

6. smither12

smither12

Aug 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    That was what I meant THANKS!

7. smither12

smither12

Aug 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    And the app is ReadRhythm

8. smither12

smither12

Aug 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, that is what I realize - but I guess because the app can only fit one bar onto the screen so it tends to be more of a groove. So if I were to be sight reading from a sheet music it would be more obvious where it starts and ends.

9. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Great app, but it is really testing your reaction not your ability. For example of you can read you can read, but it is to what level you can read and perform. Your focus is on hitting the notes in the parameters of the app, not in the parameters of playing the notes. The fact it gives you different reaction settings should show you where the focus is.
    Use it for fun and using it as an app, do not try and play along to it....that is not its function.......like I said great app but use it as an app.:)