Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When you want a rack tuner, but cash is short

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Some of you know that I went from a combo to a separate rack system, and I couldn't be happier. I also have a pedalboard that I am retiring, but that was where my tuner lived. I had a blank single rack plate and a rack shelf lying around, so I decided to see if I could make a rackmount Boss TU-2 tuner. I started out by cutting a hole out of the blank for the display, as well as drilling a hole for the input 1/4" jack, and a hole for the momentary push button that I got from radio shack. It simulated stepping on the pedal, and allows me to turn the tuner on and off. I cleaned up the wiring by getting rid of the wires for the 9v, bypass, and output jacks. I acutally used the bottom of the pedal as a mount/isolator for the circuit board and held it on with some screws and nuts. It should hold up to the rigors of transport. I put it to the right because I wanted it close to my tuner out on the GK, and I might fill the other side with my Shure wireless system that I have. Anyhow, it works like a champ, and I am pleased with the results.
    Later,
    Wes

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    WOW!.. That is the coolist thing I have seen in a long long time..!!!! Waytago yo...

Alex

3. Wow, that's more than fantastic!!

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    All I can say is nice one. Very innovative.

5. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I am happy to have inspired someone! I like the rackmount pedalboard idea. There is really no reason why it wouldn't be just as reliable as the pedal unit. In fact, with many of the 1/4" cables replaced with soldered wire, you might just gain reliability. I know that I could have put at least 6 pedals on that rack, and brought all the controls and displays forward. Hmmm, I do have a few more pedals left...

You might come up with a better way to do this if you try it, so please, share your ideas. I just kinda worked it out as I went, solving problems without any real fabrication. I am sure there are better ways to do it. It works perfectly, and for having no real metal fabrication involved. If I had half the tools as what you see in "American Chopper", this think might have looked pretty good. We can only dream...

Anyhow, thanks for the complements!

Wes

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Impressive!

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I like that !.Hey man if you're ever in the tampa bay (fl) are pm me so you could do one for me. :D

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'll have the patent out on that shortly. If anyone else wants one, come see me. :D

In the meantime....Wes...you need to go ahead and set up a small sweatshop in your garage. I have about 75 immigrants coming to your house to start assembling them. :D :D

-Mike

9. Cool! I did practically the same.

I built a Yamaha YT-2200 (chromatic automatic tuner) into a 19" rack, combined with a amp output power meter and a generic 9V effects power supply.

[​IMG]

It's the third unit.

10. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Yea, that would be better than mine. I wasn't really thinking outside the box when I designed mine...

Hands5, Get me the supplies, and I will build you one, or walk you though step by step. It's simple, and it's not cool enough to charge anyone...

Later guys,
    Wes