1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When you want to quit music all together but...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by willbassyeah, Dec 13, 2018.

1. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    You realise all your friends or people that you met for the past few years are there because of music. People recognise you as the "bassist".

Is like i have zero motivation to play my bass anymore. i dont bother practicing and the only time i practice is during jamming session with the band. All those things that used to interest me gears and stuff, i dont seem to be interested on it anymore.

I really dont know whether is just me burning myself out or what.

Is like i really want to quit but if i were to quit it seemed like i will lose all my social life.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    How long have you felt like this?

I suggest taking a break instead of quitting. Give it a few months. Do other things. Don't sell your equipment!

Could be winter blues due to lack of sun light (low vitamin d) or possibly low B12.

Try adding these 2 vitamins to your daily routine. See how you feel after a few weeks. Friends and family of mine have reported very good results.

Also, make sure you get good quality sleep every night.

Many TBrs have gone through this. You'll do fine.

Rest up. Relax. Eat right. Go have some fun doing other stuff. You can get back to music later.:thumbsup:

If it keep going on and on, see your doc and let him/her know what's going on.

blip likes this.
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    In Soviet Union, music quits YOU.

willbassyeah, RoadRanger and Stumbo like this.
  4. I've been in this spot before. I was even in a spot where I was forced out of a band, long story short I lost tons of equipment and cash investment through some shady dealings by bandmates.

All I had left was my bass and my amp, which I also considered selling. And for a while it did seem like I had no social life left since musicians and people at gigs were all I knew.

But after a hiatus which lasted about 2 yrs, I did get back into it, slowly at first. And on that 2nd time around I worked harder to establish a social life that was outside of the band. Kind of a not putting all your eggs in the same basket kind of thing.

Bottom line, stash your gear away if you aren't feeling it and give it some time. You might find that the band hassle life isn't worth it, or you might find other people who feel the same and you just have a social "jam" once in awhile.

Good luck on your decision.

5. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Do they have a lack of sunlight in Singapore? Having only about 90 sunny days a year I get how important that is for your mood.

I definitely wouldn't sell all your gear. May pare it down. I stopped playing for a good 5-7 years but am playing more now than I ever have before. Everything is cyclical. Also maybe try focusing on your other interests and meeting new people that way. You can always go back to music later.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

take a break from the 'compulsion' aspects of the music scene and just enjoy the social ones. you don't have to be the world's best player to maintain the relationships you've cultivated. and who knows? --- maybe your interest will revive in a few years. good luck to you! :thumbsup:

7. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    What kind of music do you play? If basic rock, maybe it's time to move on to something more musically challenging.

8. One can still be musically social, absent playing. Go to hear live music. Network with others who appreciate live music. Get to know other musicians. You might even forge a contact that develops into the best possible working band.