1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When your band mate doesn't have mind of 7 years old

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by wishforbass, Jun 10, 2017.

1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    For one festival music ,music school start makes band .and guess what that eas the easiest part .
    Every band has two guitar ,bass,drum and some add member like keyboard and ...

So I went met my band in the practice place I'm school .
    I was thinking ok now you will meet them and you don't need to be nervous.
    It happened and I met them .as we wanted start play I ready my strap when one of them told ,really ,isn't that strap too high .I was like *** ?!!!
    Then other say yes actually it should be near belt (I use my strap very high because I hate my wrist get bend and kind of I don't wanna get tendonitis when some of my teacher and local player get it do to this .so they tip me this as a teacher ).
    I said well I like it this way .
    One say no way ,if you don't want to wear it low ,the band look poppy and for sure we can't shine .
    I was like *** ,is it about look ,are we going to a fashion show or music fest !!!.
    After arguing and they killed a lot of time and waste good amount of time for just look ,we started practice .
    In practice there was some chord that the guitarist do to put his guitar that low couldn't play well .I only told him maybe you can tighten your strap for this song.
    It was like I told him he is worst player in ground or even worse .he started yell and told me he is modern and I shouldn't make him be oldie like me .I asked :"oldie ?"
    He said:"look at your bass brand ,it's Yamaha .its for pop player and it's so old that no one use it .no one in rock industry use Yamaha guitar .
    I said :"I like it .I don't know any one play them but I like the way it sound ."

The practice was nightmare ,
    After practice I started put my gear in my car .but other band mates (they are band ,in normal day just they don't have bassist )were talking .then saw they went to office :meh:.
    When I arrived home ,I receive a call from manger of this programme and he said do to my not good playing and not practicing ,I am out of the band and programme .

So then understand how does it feel to have band with people who have lower iq than a baby .

2. I agree with you, but obviously these people you played with think it is about looking cool, sad!
    I read Johnny Ramone's autobiography & I was sad to find out that it was all about the look for them too in the beginning. They even made Dee Dee play with a pick, because they thought it looked better :(

wishforbass likes this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

That is a rough day. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles with other "musicians" who don't seem to have a good attitude. It is a shame it seems that your "bandmates" talked bad about you to the program manager. Perhaps you should have a meeting with the program manager to tell your experiences with this group of musicians. Let him know that you are dedicated and will do what it takes to stay in the program, hopefully with a different group of musicians.

I wear my bass pretty high. I play a bass that is not really that popular in the general bass community. But hopefully I play well enough that nobody cares. We here at TalkBass call guys like that "gear snobs". Use the technique and the instruments that work best for you. You'll play better that way.

I wish you well in your musical career. You're young and have long career ahead of you. You'll have a few disappointments and many more successes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    These guys are jerks and bullies. You don't want to play with them anyway. Talk to an adult who runs the program, tell then exactly what happened.

Flabass, Gearhead17 and mcnach like this.
  5. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    They are just stupid kids that lol usually gig to find girls .:bassist:drool
    So it won't be surprising ,the way they wanna look :cool:.
    Because they don't play for music they play for :chicken:.
    I just messaged the programmer but he didn't answer back .
    Over all its not important because concert seasons in summer is so near ,so I should practice a lot because I'm in three band .
    So kind of don't need fourth one .
    Lol and they have a favorite sentence,who does hear the bass?!?!
    When as musician they think like this really I think the quality of fest won't be that much high .

gebass6 and BassCliff like this.
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Haha! Only in America, huh? :roflmao:

Oh, wait....

comatosedragon likes this.
  7. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    On a more serious note....

You should wear your bass however makes it most comfortable to play, of course -- especially in order to avoid playing with a badly bent wrist. However, I've found that although wearing the bass up high helps me keep my left (fretting-hand) wrist straight, it makes it difficult to pluck without severely bending my right wrist. I wear my bass about belt-high, but I tilt the neck upward at about a 30-45 degree angle. This gets the neck up high enough to fret comfortably without bending my left wrist, but having the body of the bass down low makes it easier to keep my right wrist straight at the same time.

Impermanence and wishforbass like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Suspended Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    For years Billy Sheehan has been a Yamaha artist. He is widely regarded as one of the best rock bass players ever.
    full.jpg

Then there has also been Michael Anthony (VamHalen), Doug Pinnick (Kngs X), John Myung (Dream Theater), James Lomenzo (Megadeath), Duff McKagan (Guns n Roses....look it up) , etc.

So your band mates are not just immature. They are incorrect.

9. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Lol
    Well the difference is that the American version all people wait to see a fender .but here people don't know what the guitar look should be.so you can go away with only a good guitar .

comatosedragon likes this.
  10. I've owned Yamaha's before. I've found that if it was $2 or $2000 it was a good, quality instrument. Didn't care for their electronics but that's my preference. As for the bass wore higher up - I did that for a while until I found where I was comfortable. Some people find it gives better control. Do what suits you. I remember Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden, not more cow bell guy ha,ha) saying in an interview once "Go your own way. Take suggestions, listen to advice, but at the end of the day do your own thing." I took that to heart when I was fourteen and it still rings true twenty-six years later. Wearing a bass, a guitar, even a kazoo or accordian for looks and chics is the WRONG reason to play. Mind you, it can be a bonus lol ;) Whatever you do, enjoy it and have fun - don't let small minds bring you down.

wishforbass likes this.
  11. String Theory

String Theory

Jul 28, 2010
    San Dimas
    Sorry you were treated poorly. Your friends are "poopy". Join another band or start one with musicians that act more mature. And Yamaha makes excellent basses. I have had one since the 1980s that sounds, plays, and looks great.

wishforbass likes this.
  12. Eh, it is show business.

So the band wanted somebody with a certain look, a certain style, and you weren't it.

wishforbass and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  13. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    I really want to help but... I have a really hard time reading this.

rbuchholz likes this.
  14. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    big_98434.jpg

Here's another world-famous bassist who has used a Yamaha...

hrodbert696, andruca and wishforbass like this.
  15. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Success is the best form of revenge, or something like that. I forgot exactly how the phrase goes but that's basically the idea. Learn songs that they can't play and then they will not matter no matter what tthey say. If you can get Rocksmith, you'll have access to a lot of good songs that you can learn without a teacher.

16. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Understandable. Personally, though, I just think it's so cool to have someone here from Iran that I'm happy to work a little harder to get past the language barrier. It's such a great reminder of how much people -- including bass players -- are the same everywhere.

ak56, And I, andruca and 6 others like this.
  17. BooDoggie

BooDoggie Typical Dumb-ass with a degree

Mar 29, 2014
    When I see a guy/girl with their bass hanging below their ass I cannot help but laugh...
    Same goes for guitar players. It is impossible to play well with your hands in such an awkward position.
    But it is funny to watch :)

gebass6, hrodbert696, JoeWPgh and 2 others like this.
  18. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    When I have 4 teacher ,why shouldn't use them (lol ) at least they should print notes .

19. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Maybe they are marketing wrong thing .
    But well let's hope they find it sooner than its too late :D.
    Specially as my teacher said people pay attention where your instrument sit .drool

20. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I'm sorry ,
    Well when English isn't your first language .
    And farsi is your first language .
    You will make a mess,because languages structures are different and translation only won't work .

gebass6, ak56, c_maj and 6 others like this.