Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When your bass chooses you...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drumsnbass, Nov 6, 2005.

1. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area
    How many of you have had your bass choose you?

To date I have had only one bass, an Ibanez ATK 4 string. It is a nice bass, and I hadn't any issue per se. Then again, I had never tried anything REALLY better than it.

Then this weeking I took off for Portland (frm Seattle) for a weekend. I thought I would hit all the big independent music stores down there and try some higher end basses.

After several stores, I started to discuss the idea with the salesman at one shop that had higher end basses that I really believed you should not choose your bass, but your bass should choose you. Right after I said that, he turned around and handed me a really boring looking used Warwick Steamer STD. Told me he thought it was the best bass in the store hands down.

He was right. It was amazing! Yeah, I know that this is a lower end (for Warwick) model, and with it's passive electronics (thought 2 pick-ups), it really has basically one sound. But the FEEL is unreal! It plays like butter. Low action and almost effortless.

I tried a Thumb right before it, and this thing just felt so much better. In the end I bought it as my first 5-string.

I brought it home, and my 10 year old, who is learing upright now in 5th grade, sat down and tried it. He had tried the ATK in the past but preferred the upright he was learning. Tonite, he didn't want to let go of the Warwick! He too thought it just felt great. Didn't even want to give it back to me!

So today, my new (used) bass chose me.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sounds like you got a great player! A bass that feels great and amkes you want to play it is a great bass. A bass with aton of features means nothing if you have no attraction to the bass to begin with.

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I was playing a fodera and a sadowsky when I went to the Fury guitar factory for the first time. Glenn asked if I wanted to try a bass. I said "no". He said "Come on. Give her a whirl." I did. Then I bought it. Then I sold the Sadowsky and the Fodera.

I think that counts as a bass choosing me.

Here I am on that day 6 years ago forever caught in the act of bad technique. (It didn't [doesn't] happen that often)
    I'm going to blame the gloves. Hard to play in I must say :)
    [​IMG]

Still rocking them today
    [​IMG]

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    My Oakland chose me like a bulldog humping my leg...

[​IMG]

5. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I don't know, but my Geddy Lee kept saying "Hey, Big Boy" everytime I'd walk by her at the music shop :)

6. SUBass

SUBass

Oct 21, 2005
    My Ibanez 6 was kinda like that. I saw it in the store and was intrigued because 6's RARELY ever show up here in town. Pulled it off the wall, thumped around a bit and put it back up. Came back a few days later and it looked across the room and said, "Hey man...Play me again...You know you want to!" And so I did. Put it back up though because I wasn't really playing anymore. I just didn't need a new bass.

Finally about a month or so later I went back in, it called me again and I finally succombed to it. I played everything in the store and although it wasn't "perfect" it was cool. It sounded better than many other at the store and it had the "Gee whiz!" factor of being a 6-string (which I had always wanted).

Almost two years later I'm still playing it but I have to say that I've found more of it's imperfections. Overall I'm happy with it and plan on doing some "upgrades." One unique thing about it is this fretted bass actual gets a bit of that "Mmwah" sound of a fretless.

James

7. My Ibanez RKB900 fit like a glove from the moment I picked it up.

Since then, it's been up and down the east coast with me and has always served me well.

It can be seen here...

[​IMG]

8. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    You didn't happen to get that warwick from Apple Music here in Portland did 'ya?
    Sometimes Trade up music has some good stuff as well. I was founded/chosen by my Alembic Distillate there a few months ago...

9. blueboy

blueboy

Nov 1, 2005
    This is an interesting consept. I guess my bass chose me. I had surgery on my left hand 5 years ago.
    I had developed a Dupatrons Contraction (cartlidge in the palm grows onto finger tendons causing the fingers to curl up).
    Surgery left my pinky sort of trashed. Then I had four back surgeries.
    Then one third of my back right shoulder muscle was removed (melanoma). :bawl:
    Any how - I found a Hofner Beatle Bass. Semi-hollow body, small neck, light weight, light action, etc. Love it!
    I am still in the game. Life is good. :bassist:

10. drumsnbass

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area

yup. it is a very boring looking bass, but it is just way cool to play. this morning, i passed the living room and there was my son, play it again with a smile on his face.

as prices go, i could have done far better on ebay. as action and feel go, i don't know how i could have done better...

11. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Did you try to talk them down at all? Sometimes they go down there, but Apple music is a weird place. Did you see that rediculous 50,000 prs w/the dragon bs?
    A lot of people I know can't stand that place, but if you go in there knowing what to expect...and it is really the only place here in portland that continously has some better gear.
    And congrats (to the both of you)!!!

12. drumsnbass

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area
    yeah, they took off $125 from it. like i said, i knew it was not
    THE best price, but I also knew this thing felt way too nice to
    pass on...