1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When your SO complains about the cost of your NBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IamGroot, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:50 AM.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Use the BASS SOON strategy. Tell her you are interested in Bassoon instead.

Student models start at $5K.

Intermediates start at $20K.

An orchestral quality Bassoon like a new Heckel are in the mid $50k range. They have an 8 year waiting list for new orders and you have to put down $5,000 to order.

Bassoons are double reeds and are among the most difficult instruments to play. Bassoon players are rare, so the prices are high.

Playing the bass is a bargain by comparison.

There is a Bass Bassoon too. Very expensive

2. And if she reminds you how much the "initial deposit" for a divorce lawyer runs, what then? :(

My even simpler solution.....no SO. :D

It is a hilarious idea though. Wish I'd thought of it. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 9:01 PM
    Microbass, JeffC23, bdplaid and 4 others like this.
  3. twinjet

twinjet CFM-equipped Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I can appreciate the attempt at humor, but the useless noisemaking of the first video really detracted from the performance of those beautiful pieces. Major mood-killer...

RobertUI and jd56hawk like this.
  4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Well that useless noise making is what you would hear for several years. Bassoon is a double reed and the embouchure is very unforgiving. That and the fingering make it a very very tough instrument to learn. People usually play it for 20+ years before becoming "pro"

5. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    But it is in Bass clef......

6. Kenan

Kenan

Sep 13, 2014
    I thought the BASS SOON was the next bass you're going to buy soon...

Anyway, you can't make this argument if you also play upright...

7. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    considering my S/O's got a herd of electric guitars, a few acoustics, and one of his amps covers all the space to one side of the coffee table, i'm not worried about him complaining about any NBDs. besides, he just got a new EMG for his 8-string, i recently gifted him with my dimension and he's jonesing for a used charvel desolation 6 string.

so, you see, i have no need of the bass soon method :D

8. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I wrench on her car, computer, house, add bass gear I want to the shopping list.

Beats paying the $140/hr average of a mechanic, plumber, Geek Squad for her + she doesn't complain about $ of my hobbies.

9. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    I find it hard to believe that the embarrassment of claiming to play the bassoon would be better than the ridicule you would take for asking for another bass.

10. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Actually, I dream about playing basson.
    But then I wake up.

To me, bassoon sounds like a tenor sax that has been chain smoking for 20 years. Its the Lauren Bacall of the woodwinds.

mikewalker, EddieV, Sparky63 and 22 others like this.
  11. Copperhead

Copperhead I've been here before. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Mine quit voluntarily. I think she realizes I could be buying brand new trucks, Bass boats,or doing a lot of other stuff that could be much worse. A lot of what I buy has been wheely dealing flipping other stuff too,so, nothing out of house money. She knows it's my nature to have 110 projects going, and just lets me be me, even though it may irk her a bit. That's a good woman for ya.

mikewalker, ZachM, retslock and 7 others like this.
  12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Heck, just compare more apples to apples. Decent student model double basses start at $750. And that's just the bass. A good bow will cost $75-$250. Then there's the strings: you're looking at $100 easily. I've seen really nice used double basses for sale on here for $18K and up. Electric basses are much cheaper relatively.

EDIT: And don't forget the rosin, a dampit, and a case.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 8:54 AM
  13. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK?
    If you have to "ask" for another bass, or do anything else other than just go buy it, you might want to consider a new SO before another new bass...just sayin'
    Rock on.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    We're sitting here trying to figure out if this should or shouldn't be in the "Bass Humor" section.
    Still scratching our heads.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 9:01 AM
    Obese Chess and instrumentalist like this.
  15. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Excuse me, what is an "SO"? It is a government organization that approves your purchases for you?

Also, why do you humans do all that irrational "love" behavior? There are more efficient ways of gestating offspring.

16. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    :roflmao:

SO = significant other.

i'll leave the second questions to TB philosophers :D

barrybass33 and jd56hawk like this.
  17. Just offer to let her spend an equivalent amount on shoes.

Bflat likes this.
  18. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    you know, not all women collect shoes. my husband knows i'd always rather have bass or photography gear than purses or shoes.

19. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Yep, as long as I don't dip into household funds, it's all good.

JKB1957 likes this.
  20. Gotcha. I was singling out what I thought would be the broadest common denominator among women who do not play bass.