1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When your strings arrive and you don't double check...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Basschair, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    ...to make sure what's in the envelope is what you ordered.

I'm attaching a pic of a Pirastro string, one of two that I ordered last year, received, installed, used, and removed after a month or two to try some deluxes. I know what I ordered, and I know what I think this string actually is, and unfortunately they aren't the same. It's my fault, it was dumb to not pause and check to make sure the correct strings were inside to correct Pirastro string envelopes.

But...before closing the door on it, take a look at the pic. What Pirastro string would you say it is? IMG_1876.JPG

2. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    Flat Chromesteel

3. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    +1

4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Was there a change of silk color at some point in the last five years or so? FCS were violet spiral over white. Passiones were ruby over white if I've read correctly.

5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I should say that the set of FCS I've used years ago were a bluish purple, similar to but definitely not the same as original flat chromes. Perhaps they changed the color to avoid confusion? Of course, now the colors on their website make the Passione and FCS look identical. Is that the case?

6. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    These are definately Flat Chromesteelss.
    Passiones have a brown spiral over white.

7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Original Flatchrom have a violet spiral over white. Friggin' Pirastro.

I'm not 100% what you have...if it's banjo-bright like a Spiro, it's a FCS. Darker with a stiffer feel would be Flex deluxe.

8. Looks like a Flat-Chromesteel D to me.
    Flexocor Deluxe has a brighter red than this.
    Could have been what we call an Original-Flatchrome today if it was, say, 20 years old.
    They were using that color back then.
    But you bought it new recently, no?

9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Within the last year. Looks like at some point the color was changed, which makes me happy. Now I can go back to not checking my orders

Thank you all for your input!

10. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    Original Flat Chromesteels actually have a blue spiral over white.
    Flat Chromesteels have a violet spiral over white.
    Passione brown spiral over white.
    Flexocore Deluxe bright red over white.

I've had all of these string on on of my basses or the basses at the school, where I teach. You can also check the color codes at pirastro.com

11. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    The set of OFC I had that was made in the '70s had a violet spiral over white on the ball end, and silver wire over the wraps at the pegbox end.