Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

when your writing a song...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paniak17, Nov 24, 2004.

1. what is it easier to write first? I have so many good bridges or chorases to songs, bassically with bass lines and chords only, but i rarely have any with lyrics and i can never seem to peice things together. I know i can do it, but it gets frusterating sometimes, i just am not that good at lyrics, and i guess i need help or advice on how to write lyrics to songs when you just have chords and basslines.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Being good lyrically takes as much work as developing proper/good playing technique with an exception: Verses are not nearly as important as a catchy chorus. That's what people tend to latch onto. At least in the realm of POP music.

Most of all, be yourself when writing lyrics. And just like the way you develope chops on an instrument, lyrics/songs can evolve the same way. Don't be hell bent on trying to write that "big hit". Just get your thoughts down and work them into the music you develope.

Sometimes you just get a good idea and you get it all on paper at once. Other times you may come up with some good lines only to complete them months or a year later.

Good luck, and keep at it. We need/enjoy good tunes.

3. Why not try working with a lyricist? If you're serious about writing your own lyrics, it can't hurt you to watch someone up close who's done it before. And while it's nice to do everything yourself, there's no law that says you have to.

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah, i feel your pain. I wrote a few cool riffs, and I'm usually good at lyrics, but this time I can't think of a good, original subject. When this type of thing happens, I usually leave it alone for a week or so, and come back with fresh new ideas. Give it a try. :)

{Graeme}