Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When you're looking for a Jazz, which brand do you have to check out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Aug 28, 2005.

1. When you're looking for a Jazz, which brand do you have to check out?

Modulus?
    Lakland?
    Sadowsky?
    Or just a good old Fender?

(I'm looking for a 5 string Jazz btw, but maybe i forgot some brands..)

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Good choices there. I would add Levinson Blade. They're in the same price range.

3. Lull
    hotwire
    atelier z
    celinder
    pensa
    status
    wilkins

ad there's probably bunch more

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Sadowsky
    Valenti
    Fender
    Mike Lull
    Celinder
    Nordstrand (soon to be released)
    Lakland (not exact body style)

lot's of others too... It really depends on your budget.

6. If you are looking for that Fender sound, accept no substitute and get yourself a Fender.

If you are looking for a modern sounding five string Jazz bass, This list could go on for a mile!
    There is a real nitch right now for what you are looking for, so you have tons to chose from. Just about every major manufacture makes a Jazz clone and has their own twist to it.

Even companies like Ken Smith have got into the act.
    Check out Benavente,
    Pedulla (Rapture)
    Mike Lull
    Celiner

There is also a very wide price range in this style of bass, so depending on how much you are willing to spend may cut the list down, but if the sky is the limit you have got some "trying out" ahead of you.

7. Another thing to remember... all Jazz's are not the same.... do you want an agressive 70's sort of vibe (ala Marcus Miller, etc.) or a more mellow, warm 60's sort of Joe Osborne type thing.... different body woods, body sizes, pickup placement, pickup types (single vs. humcanceling, etc.) can make those 'Jazz Basses' sound very, very different from each other. For the money, if you aren't going with a Fender, the Lakland Skyline models (JO and DJ) seem particularly well made to me, and with difference wood and preamp options, you can fine tune them from rather mellow to screaming :bassist:

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Best bang for buck I'd say would be the Lakland Skylines, if you're trying to save a buck, you could go with Fenders, if you have all the money in the world.

Lakland USA
    Celinder
    Sadowsky
    I hear the Pensa/Suhrs/Allevia (I know they're different, just seem the same to me) and the Low Ends are nice though I've never played em.

9. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I'd check out a Fender, or maybe a Fender. Or if the store has them, a Fender. But for that real Jazz sound, think about a Fender. :bassist:

10. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    i would definitely consider adding John Suhr's Jazz to the mix.

11. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    You sure you wouldn't just go with a Fender?

Oh yeah, I've also heard some good things about Fender so you may want to check them out as well.

12. Some of the 5-string Jazz Basses mentioned have a 34" scale while others are 35" scale. The difference has been discussed here in the past. I have owned both and prefer a 34" scale bass. If I was in the market for a 5-string Jazz (and had the money) I'd certainly consider another Sadowsky. Even though it's not a strict Jazz clone, the Fender Roscoe Beck V has received high praise here on TB.

34"
    Fender
    Atelier Z
    Sadowsky
    Alleva-Coppolo

35"
    Celinder
    Lakland
    Lull
    ?

13. NOW IF Fender were to make a Jazz bass, pfft, now that would be cool!! :D

14. I see you're from The Hague, so I add some Dutch builders:
    - Andre v.d. End (Nijmegen - does not have a website): often called "The Dutch Sadowsky". (I have also heard Sadowsky being called "The American v.d. End" ;) ). Never played one myself, I must admit.
    - Groove Axess (Breda): I own one myself, couldn't be happier, killer B, definitely better than my previous Fenders although they were good too.
    - Ellio Martina (Eefde): Absolutely superb playability and sound.

15. I just picked up a Smith yesterday (sorry have that new bass bias in me) but one of the reasons I bought it was it is VERY jazzy

16. Definately play the good ol' Fender Jazz first so you have some sort of baseline (or Bassline :)) to compare to. If possible, try other Jazzes on the same amp too to get a real feel for the instrument itself.

As far as other brands to try after Fender, try Sadowsky for a super high quality "Fender". Also look at Lull and Lakland "Jazz" instruments for slightly different takes on the classic. If you're on a budget, buy a SX. They are very nice for the price so don't be fooled. For a boutique "modern Jazz update", check out F-Bass.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I paid $510 + $80 for a fret dressing for my 98 MIA Jazz on Ebay, and other than the sage green metallic finish not being my favorite color, I put it up against any Fender copy made, including Sadowskys. True, I'd like to see a nitro finish on it instead of the polyester, but in terms of playability and sound, it's as good as any bass I've ever played.

I think all the things that boutique Fender builders try to correct from the original Fender design only make them sound like any other boutique bass. They all try for this even response on all the notes, and part of what makes a Fender great is that the response isn't even all over the neck. You don't necessarily want the higher notes to sound exactly the same as the lower notes. Fenders tend to push out the notes a little hotter and fatter higher on the neck, and to me that is so much more musical than if all the notes have even response. Plus I've never understood why so many bassists freak out about dead spots. The only person who hears dead spots when you play is you. Have any of you actually heard someone hit a dead spot on any recordings or at a show you've attended? I rest my case!

I've played a ton of these boutique Fenders, and I'd be disingenious if I said they weren't all great basses, but they're too perfect for my tastes. If you want a Fender-y boutique bass, that's one thing, but if you want the actual Fender sound, get a Fender.

18. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    fender alone..

19. If i would buy a Fender Jazz V i would buy it at ebay.com
    But isn't the B string always a issue at the Fenders MIA?

20. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    After having a fender american deluxe, I was searching for a good jazzbass and I found it.

I made a warmoth dinky Jazzbass, very classic with nordstrand pick ups and John East preamp. The result is great and really better than the fender I owned.
    Much more modern, much more vintage, VERSATILE!

Specs here : http://www.warmoth.com/gallery/Bass/Jbass/jacques_paulin.htm

Lakland basses looks gorgeous too!