Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where abouts does the Geddy Lee fit in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burntgorilla, Aug 25, 2005.

1. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I've just bought a Geddy Lee sig, and am looking forward to its arrival. I like to try and "place" my basses, so I know where I stand, if you follow. For example, my old bass, an Ibanez GSR200, was a beginner's bass, but a pretty good quality one. I'd rather know that than walk up to someone with a Lakland saying "wow, why'd you get that instead of my bass?" I'm not really sure where A Geddy Lee fits in, even amongst the other Fenders. As far as I understand it, it's a great bass for the money (£650 here, but I got it for £400 on eBay). I'm assuming it's better than the standard jazzes, but how much worse is it than the higher end jazzes available?

I guess this is a pretty odd question, but it's just something that's been turning over in my head.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Just one bassist's opinion, but aside from the tuners (you can't even say "hardware" with a BAII on it) every GL Jazz I've played has been on par with every American-built Jazz, and even better on the side of Quality Control: I've tried a few "dud" Americans, but no Geddys.