1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where am I (playwise/techincally/knowledgewise)?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Redleader, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Hi. Though I am a new member, I am really happy that I found this site, and it gave a lot of information to me. So, I though I could ask something that is troubling me (a littl,e not too much:smug: )
    I am a new player. I got my first bass last december (December 1st, I will never forget that :) ) I took some theory lessons before also. Then I started taking lessons one-on-one with a teacher around February. I took lessons once a week until the summer, by then I went on vacation. I came back in August and returned to lessons.
    Now to the point. I learned how to do jazz walks, play different grooves from different genres by a book given to me by my teacher. I than learned slapping/popping at the beginning of the summer from my teacher. I tried to learn tapping from a video, and could do it with a little effort. I play with three fingers (did not learn this from my teacher, but through the video of John Myung). The most technically challenging song I can play is HOme from Dream Theater. I try to practice every day. My friends (whose opinions about music I really appreciate) say I have come a long way, on a short time. Now I just want to know, where am I? Am I a beginner still? I know I am not a pro, but still... I am kind of tired of humbly describing myslef as a beginner :smug: So what is your opinion about me? I will ask this question to my teacher but he fell ill this week and we couldn't make a lesson.
    Thanks for your opinions.

2. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Well if you know your theory you've got a pretty big headstart :) Not to take away from you at all, Home isn't an easy song, but it's not the most challenging either. Can you play it standing up, can you play it by heart, or do you need to be looking at a tab? (ps the fact that you have a 6-string makes me envious). But improvisation is goign to help you go a long way. How are you at playing with other people, and if someone plays something on guitar, and you going to be able to not just mimic the root notes, but come up with a nice grooving line of your own? There is always room for improvement in any bass player, as has been stated by some of the greats of this age (specifically Wooten saying he always is trying to teach himself new things). I'd say that in under a year coming that far is very impressive, and agian, the fact that you know theory is definitely a huge advantage over someone like me. Just keep practicing (that's what everyone here will tell you) all the time.

EDIT: I was thinking of the wrong song... that' sthe one where the last minute or two is pretty fast with the ups and downs and hooray.. ya that's a lot more impressive than i originally thought.

3. Well, I should ahave mentioned that I don't have a 6 string (wish I had ::crying: ) I play a Yamah Rbx170 (advertising :smug: ), 4 strings, and I am struggling during the solo to keep up. I learned to play that song with four strings with the help of a friend, who changed all the bass parts from 6 string to 4 string (has minor flaws but actually is pretty good). But thx for your opinion :) I really appreciate it! And about that part about improvising, I got a few compliments about my "walking bass" with my drummer, no guitar, and my teacher also gives homework such as; "write 3 grooves, at least 4 bars each, on different tone, not too simple" with slaps.
    Thx for your opinion :) I really appreciate it!

4. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    From your description, I would say that you've done well for your first year. There's always tons to learn but for your first year your hitting the ground running, as you mentioned you practice pretty often, thats the best thing you can do at this point. Make sure to practice against a metronome to so you can build consistent timing. If you know of any friends who play any other instruments then try to play with them, even if everyone is awful it still turns out to be a great learning experience which will motivate you further (it did for me anyway). Good luck,

David.