Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where and what to play in manhattan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikestack, Mar 6, 2003.

1. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Hey guys.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I invite a moderator to move it if so... I couldn't decide between this group and Miscellaneous...

In about two weeks, my girlfriend has a conference to attend in Manhattan. Since NYC is one of the loves of my life, I'm heading there with her for a couple days. However, while she's at this conference thing, I'll have time to cruise around the city and one of the things I want to do is check out some fretless basses (I'll be in the market for one shortly). She gloriously patient for me, but I've been known to sit in a store for an hour+ beating around on things, and that must get boring for her....

I know about all the stores on 48th, and I'll be heading over to Guitar & Bass Boutique on 50th, but is there anywhere else I should check out?

And for that matter, anything I should look out for to try out? I'm pretty well sold on getting a Zon Lightwave fretless to match my fretted, but I'm always looking for other ideas.

2. Mikestack,the only other place I can think of off hand is Matt Umanov on Bleecker St.

www.umanovguitars.com

When you're finished on 48th St., jump on the F train (corner of 48th & 6th right across from Radio City Music Hall) and take it downtown 6 stops to W4th st. Walk straight ahead about 1 block to Carmine St., hang a right. The first corner you come to will be Bleecker & Carmine Streets. John's Pizza is on the corner. Hang a right there and walk two short blocks to Matt's. It's worth checking out.

Mike

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    48th st has a couple of cool shops. Be sure to go up to the bass floor of Rudy's, they had some great Zons when I was there a while back.

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Chelsea 2nd Hand guitars
    220 W 23rd St. 212.675.4993

Mostly used stuff. They usually have some nice vintage basses and gear.

Just watch out for prices. Most stores in NYC charge waaaaay too much especially on 48th st.
    Matt Umanov is usually too expensive as well. But you can sometimes find good deals.

hope this helps

6. Take the subway to Sadowsky in Brooklyn. It's easy. I'm doing it when I hit NYC in April. Here are directions: http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_directions.html

Definitely hit Rudy's Music Stop (not shop) on north side of 48th St. just east of 7th Avenue. Bass gear is on the third floor of the shop. The have Lakland, Sei, Smith, etc.

7. Fodera is in Brooklyn too. I don't know how accessible they are via mass transit (subway).

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    one more place,

carminestreetguitars.com

A cool little vintage place.

That is weird about the Chelsea hotel. I did not know that was the site of the "Sid" incident.

9. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Hey everybody... good start so far, I'll be taking a copy of this thread with me to the hotel to check out where I'm going.

Of course, any other suggestions, keep 'em coming! I've got two weeks 'til I go!

Thanks for all the help so far...

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    There's also the Guitar and Bass Boutique on 9th Ave and I believe, 50th or 49th in Man-Hat-In.