Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where are all my "Jamband" fans??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Mar 21, 2002.

1. And for the record, I dislike the term "jamband", but I'll use it for lack of a better word...(I'm speaking of bands like Phish, Dead etc....)

So who are all you folks that share my love of "jambands"??

Let me knwo what you like, who's your favorite, which bands you see alot...

What area are you from and where do you goto alot of shows?

And for myself...
    I'll list a bunch that I listen to. Phish, Big Wu, Moe., SCI, Panic, Dead, Dregs, Galactic, Greyboy Allstars, Keller Williams, Grisman, Claypool(more O-head stuff than anything), Flecktones, MMW, Scofield, Allman Brothers, AMS, Sam Bush Band, Derek Trucks...

My favorite shows are probably...
    Phish - at allstate arena
    Big Wu - this past NYE
    Moe. - Peoria, IL last year

Lets hear it...
    Peace
    Graham

Edited to add below...
    also, the venue i goto the most would probably be the barrymore in Madison, WI.

2. ...probably off smoking up. :eek: :D

Seriously, though, I consider myself sort of a jam band fan--but other than Gov't Mule, which is absent from your list, I'm not really into the whole bluesy-hippie-dancey-Jazz Odyssey thing. I'm curious why it's had such a lasting appeal and peeks into the mainstream from time to time.

It's weird, because I draw from the same well--King Crimson, electric Miles, Meddle-era Floyd, Zappa, Headhunters, Mahavishnu--as a lot of these bands, but I can't stand to listen to the ones I've heard. MMW usually bores me to tears. The Flecktones make me want to gag, except when Vic steps out and lays down the law. Scofield makes some of the blander white-boy funk I've heard. I would rather have a gasoline enema than listen to a Phish album all the way through.

Part of the reason that I don't like these bands is that there's never really a palpable sense of danger to the music; perhaps that's what makes it so popular among potheads and sorority girls. A band like Phish or Widespread Panic engages in a whole lot of progressive music-making, replete with odd time signatures and dissonant chords, but smooths over the rough edges with unadventurously bluesy solos and silly lyrics. I've heard recordings of Phish trainwrecks, and they seem altogether too genial, in sharp contrast to the big, sloppy, dissonant, glorious messes created by King Crimson or Pangaea-era Miles.

I still haven't checked out too much Dead, though, just the acoustic early-'70s stuff, which is pretty but not my speed. What would you suggest, based on my aesthetic principles?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I dig the Dregs and the earlier Flecktones stuff, but that's pretty much it.
    I even started listening to Deep Purple again because of Steve Morse, my favorite guitarist.

4. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I like Phish, Moe. SCI, Claypool stuff, the Dead, Flecktones, etc.

Anywho, I never get to see any because I live in Wyoming, and yeah, that should be pretty self explanitory. And if there ever are jambands in WY there on the other side of the state :(

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i like scofield, MMW, and flecktones...but just because of the sheer musical virtuosity of the players. i think it's funny watching the flecktones DVD or going to their shows and seeing all the stoners there who, honestly, have no idea what's going on.

and stuff like Big Wu, Phish, etc....i dunno. it just seems kinda weak compared to stuff like tribal tech. if you want cool jam stuff thats still challenging check out stuff like Birth, ulu, stuff that's more crazy jazz than stretched out rock.

Graham - you checking out Galactic @ the barrymore april 12th? i think a band i'm in is opening for them (the tim whalen electric group). should be interesting :D and then you should stick around for the Madison funk all-stars show the next night. you want some "jams" they'll be there ;)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice mental image there.

Is this a Pearl Jam thread?

7. Don't mention it :D

8. I love jam bands. I get a lot of sh** for it from people at school, but I enjoy actually listening to musicians who know how to play chords, beyond the standard power chord. (as I am sitting here typing this, the guy in front of me is blaring a Static-X CD, telling me to turn down my SCI tunes) I love going to concerts, because I love the music, and I also love all the people who go to the concerts. I have <b>never</b> met a mean person at any of the jam shows I have seen. They are all cool, and are willing to share anything you want...;)

My favorite jam bands: Phish, String Cheese Incident, Moe, Flecktones, Gov't Mule, and Widespread Panic.
    My favorite concert: String Cheese Incident at Veterans Memorial hall in Columbus.

I am hoping to go around the midwest with SCI this summer, but I dont know how many people I can get to go. Anyone who wants to come with me, just tell me:D

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    We are forgetting my favorite jam band of all time: The Spin Doctors.

I know people think they are just a one hit wonder because they had Little Miss Can't Be Wrong played in the mainstream, but they are so great. (IMO that is)

I've heard a little bit of SCI and I thought they were pretty cool.

Has anyone here ever heard of a band called Calobo? If not, you should definatley check them out.

10. ChlkDstTtr

ChlkDstTtr Guest

Feb 15, 2002
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    All great bands. Been to over a dozen Phish shows myself. :D
    Never got bad vibes at a single one. Everybodys there to share the experience (and maybe a little sumthin sumthin too ;) )

Can't forget Oysterhead (Phish meets Primus) though. Strangefolk used to be good, but they've kind of gone down hill since one of their original members left. And of course the Dead and Floyd are always good.

11. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Yup, anything that grooves is otay. I used to live outside of Boston and now live in San Jose (45 minutes from San Francisco).

I definitely dig most/all of the bands previously mentioned, as well as:

*Sound Tribe Sector 9 and The New Deal for electronica jams.
    *Railroad Earth, Smokin' Grass and Yonder Mountain String Band for a hit of bluegrass.
    *Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey and Wayne Krantz for sonic ultra-weirdness

Favorite shows "EVER":
    Phish 12/30/93 - Maine
    Phish 7/8/94 - Mass.
    Phil Lesh with Trey and Paige 4/17/1999

Peter McFerrin: Dude, I totally understand where you're coming from in terms of the Dead. However, as a bassist, PHIL!! He is really unbelievably incredible. His tone, lines, and concepts changed over the years, but whatever...download some shows for free and check it out.

You can download many (Dead, Phish, a few others) in mp3 and SHN format at

http://www.gdlive.com. While some of the wilder (neo-classical, feedback) stuff can be found in the late 60's, check out some of the 1970-1974 shows for juicy fatness. The show from 5/8/77 is a classic, and Phil's bass in Scarlet Begonias is a bouncing bunch of bassy goodness.

There's a Napster-like program called Furthur that allows you to share and download shows (this is 99% legal, these bands allow taping) from many different bands: http://www.furthurnet.com .

Of course, this is all just one man's opinion. If anyone has any questions about SHN's, downloading, or whatever, feel free to give a holler.
    Cheers!
    Jeb

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    damn hippies...

:D