Where are all the GK800 users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fingerman, Aug 31, 2002.

Wher are all the GK800 users out there?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2002.
  1. Who likes the GK800.

0 vote(s)
  2. GK800 they are great

6 vote(s)
  1. Where are all the GK800 users out there? I think the 800 is and will remain the best of GK offerings, thats why they have not stopped production of them unlike a lot of SWR products.
  2. You want mine? Sorry to burst your balloon but I switched to SWR. My 800rb just sits. I used GK for years but I find they get real thin at mid-volume and above. This is very apparent with high end speakers, I use an Epiphani 3x10. Plus tubes in the preamp section (at least) warms the sound.

3. I have tried Swr I find the Gk800 to be punchier I can also get a bit of growl out of it,unlike most transistor amps,keep in mind I come from a background of Ampeg and Rickys My Warwick Thumb also adds some warmth.Ihave had this amp for almost 20 years ,we'll see how your SWR rig holds up .also SWR only has 1 tube in the Pre amp section.
  4. I think the sweetest sounding amp GK ever made was the 200RB, but I've owned the 800RB too and it's indeed a legend.
  5. I switched from an SWR SM400S to a GK 800RB and the band instantly remarked on the improvement in sound and warmth.
  6. I agree that the one(My mistake) 12ax7 in the SWR (which I changed) isn't a TUBE AMP sound per se but I do think it warms up the tone. It is unfair to compare to the SM 900, which I use, because of the difference in power. I'm not knocking GKs, I played a 400rb for 15 years. I also miss the growl that the 800rb gives especially while playing some RCHPs.

Everyone is looking for the sound that their ears like best and I couldn't get it with my GK 800RB. The guys in my band said the same after I brought the SWR to practice.

If you love yours, great. You won't get the GAS pains that afflict me from time to time.
  7. Yes.
  8. Sound of the Police, PM me I am selling it.
  9. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used a 800rb for a decade or so. It's a great amp. I posted into a number of GK threads here a TB about how my 800rb was dropped on a concrete loading dock by a band mate. It kept on working and has never been in the shop.

I bought a 1001rb a couple of years ago. I'll still use my 800rb for practice at home. I'll lug it to a jam once in awhile. It's a keeper.