Where are all the passive basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Its my day to complain about things.

Ok, I'm probably just an idiot. (disclaimer)

So I've been thinking about buying a 4 stringer, and I really want a passive bass (one active is enough for me), and I dont really want another Fender and I dont want a Carvin. So I'm looking around, and it seems most everything made today is active. Man, I just want simplicity! Passive pups, no EQ!

Make some suggestions for me please :) We'll say "price is no concern" when really it is, heh.

2. Ionic Eye

Ionic Eye

May 13, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Reverend Rumblefish, $699 direct, I believe (just thought I'd beat some people to the punch.) My Dean Edge 5 is passive, but my take on the pups was, "Man, these s*%k!" Just thought I'd share...
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I would say you should look into Elrick basses.. Of course i'm a biased fool.. but i'm sold on these bad beast. I do believe they all come with a passive/active switch and that is actually IMO a very usefull thing to have.... I'll just use this as another shameless chance to display my new baby :D

4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I got a Roscoe Beck V chillin' chez moi.
  5. Wicca

Oct 13, 2001
    How about a G&L JB-2.
  6. Dude, suck isnt really a "dirty word".
  7. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Nothing wrong with keeping it clean.
  8. ah yes, the best idea yet! danke
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    MTD Kingston. Passive and agressive...
  10. DiN...I'v been thinking about building a 4 string with just a switch for on and off. I'll let my amp do all the work........I am sure it's been done before . The Fender Hoppus bass is kind of along those lines....But like you I don't want another Fender.... I'm working on a design now... God I love playing my Upright because it does not have any knobs or switches. It's just sweet acoustic simplicity! Idiezman, That Elrick is hardly simple...um 5 knobs and two switches...what, don't you have a EQ on your amp?whatever! :rolleyes:
  11. The Warwick Streamer Standard can be had relatively inexpensively. Both the MIC RockBass version and the MIG German version are worthy, and the price difference isn't all that much, about $150-200 depending on retailer and model. The MIC's have maple/rosewood; the MIG's have ovangkol/wenge (verrrry stable, and reinforced with 10" steel bar in the neck). Best of all, if you get the active Jones, the electronics cavity is quite large. Gotta admit the G&L ain't a bad idea tho'.
  12. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    you said you don't want a Fender so i can say that you don't want a Fender design bass, you want passive...so here we go with something different and nice:

the new Rickenbacker 4004 cheyenne II

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hey you can always assemble a Warmoth from parts (or order the parts and have a local luthier assemble them to your specs - that's what I did).
  14. mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I can't really help you with a bass recommendation, but it was interesting to see someone longing for a passive bass. i own a '78 musicman sting ray. the strings are old and the 9 volt battery powering the active electronics is dead. i've been hesitant to change the strings/battery because i'm getting such a full bodied sound (that gets "meaty" if i use my right hand to play near the fingerboard.) i have to admit that i've always like basses to sound out with a lot of attack and a bit of growl for the sustain, but i'm really enjoying the "simple pleasures" of a passive sounding bass.
  15. Definitely take a look at a Reverend Rumblefish XL from www.reverenddirect.com . A great price for a great bass!:)

16. TOTAL GAS!!!
  17. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    That is an extremely purty bass.
  18. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    DiN, i am a Rickenbacker player and supporter. and i am really happy you like the 4004.
    i have a 4001 and is my intention to know more about the 4004. i am interested in the 5 strings version of this wonderful bass too.

it could be great to hear from people who played these cheyennes!