1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where are all the sealed cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morebass!, Oct 10, 2013.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    My interest in sealed cabs was rekindled this week when I borrowed a SVT210AV (thanks Jim). Fast, precise low end, not boomy, great growly mids, and just enough treble. Lots of character - low-wattage cabs like this have a nice "break-up". And there's something about the strong low mids/upper bass that speaks to me. The downside is that I’d need at least two for playing bar gigs and the form factor doesn’t really work for me. I like some sound from up high and the vertical alignment concept but stacking 2 of these just doesn’t seem stable (i.e. I picture myself knocking the whole stack over with a misstep on a small stage:oops::crying:). So I’m interested in what else might be available that sounds like the little AV but is wider/easier to stack. Here’s a list of sealed cabs that I’m aware of:
    •Ampeg 8x10 (too big and heavy for my needs)
    •Ampeg 410HE ( too heavy and too short)
    •Berg NV610/215 (rave reviews but too heavy for me)
    •Berg NV115 (too expensive, not efficient, and may not be tonally similar to AV?)
    •Bag End S15D - port plugged (much different tone, very large, too short)
    •GK 410 SBX (much different tone, too heavy, too short)
    •I think Markbass may make neo sealed 8x10 and 6x10s ( ???)

That’s a pretty short list. Are there any wider 2x10s, 1x12s, 2x12s or reasonably-priced 1x15s out there?:help:

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Hartke Hydrive 410 is sealed.

3. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    If I owned two SVT210AV cabs, I would consider modifying them to provide for connecting them together, and adding a wider base.

You could install T-nuts, and use thick aluminum angle to tie them together, and attach an aluminum box channel stabilizing base the same way. With some creative engineering, and fabrication, a simple, light weight contraption would make it less likely a stacked pair of these would fall down.

4. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Why not find something to stack them on to get up to ear level? If the SVT is the sound you really like, keep it, there will always be a way around your problem...

5. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I gigged with a couple sealed 12/6 cabinets I built. I loved the sound, but we rarely use PA support for instruments other than the kick, and I found the low end dropped out quickly 10 feet in front of the speakers, and didn't fill the room. I don't have that happen with ported cabinets.

6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Think the Barefaced 69er is sealed.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Don Oatman of Low Down Sound has a particular love for sealed boxes. He has built some beautiful, lightweight sealed 15 and 10 cabs. Definitely the way to go these days if you are looking for 'that thing'.

Those Markbass sealed multi 10 cabs you mentioned sounded GREAT but didn't sell, and were discontinued a number of years ago.

8. astack

astack Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have a post on the 'Vertical Stacks' thread showing how I have used the 210AV's on less than stable stages ... I strap them both to a two wheel dolly and put a board under the front of the cab for even more stability .. makes a very wide stable bass, and then just roll them in and out ...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=360957&d=1378579256

Edit to add: the Hartke 210XL is also a sealed box, just a little bigger than the 210AV to very much increase the stability ... I have a couple, actually like the sound of them, but the aluminum cones may not be everybodies cup of tea and they also dont like a lot of power .. nice size vertical stack though .. couple of those boxes with drivers of choice could be sweet ...

11. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    For me, there is nothing else that will do if you are looking for a multi-10 sealed cab. When it comes to mid/bass drivers, 10, 12 and 15" drivers each have a sound to them. Subwoofers do not. So, the real issue is, where are all the good 10" drivers for sealed bass cabs. There are a few ok ones but nothing super. The nv610 has the best there is but, it's custom and may not always be available for replacement, and it still is alittle dark sounding. The B810 can handle power but is pretty muddy. The alpha-10a is probably the best overall but can't handle a ton of power. The 10fe200 is nice but, too clean sounding for my tastes.

I'd like to see a manufacturer step up and put out something like an alpha-10 with better low end. Or maybe like a beta-10 better suited to a sealed cab, which is what the berg uses. There are a few others but, most can't be readily had.

12. How would you compare the 210av's to the bag end cabs you have pictured there, in terms of volume, tone, etc? Also, are they 12s or 15s?

13. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Cool idea that might just work for me. Thanks!

14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Hey there neighbor ... the Baggies are S15-D's ... they are probably the most 'musical' cab that I have ever played ... I have never liked ported 15's, but these Baggies aren't like any other 15 I have ever played ... much tighter sounding, not overly deep (which I never want anyway), but extremely full and rich and punchy in the low mids on up ... and of course compared to the 210AV's, they are a very stable stack ... deeper and wider, and although about 15-20 pounds heavier, they are very easy to carry ... these seem to carry/fill a room better (or maybe easier is a better word) than the sealed 210 cabs as well ...

.. with that said, I just really like sealed cabs, and I like 10's ... unfortunately, the Baggies don't get used much, as I am always grabbing the sealed 10's ... we dont own a PA, have been renting everywhere we go and the sealed 10's are easier to hear on stage, so they fit the bill fine with the house support available ...

I am up in North Branch, you are welcome to swing up and try them for yourself ... drop me a pm if that is of interest ... I am in downsizing mode, and if I dont start finding a reason to use the Baggies more, they might actually be looking for a new home ... both the 210AV's and the Baggies are just excellent cabs for what they are/do ...

15. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Interesting review. I'll add that one to the list!

16. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    A lot of good points there. What does ampeg use? They sound good but don't handle a lot of power so maybe they're the alpha=10as.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Where's Jimmy????? I think he and a couple other guys actually put their heads on the bottom and put the two 2-10 cabs on top of it (or something like that). I'll bet the topic title will grab his attention and he'll swing by with the pic. I can't remember what thread it was in.

18. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I thought you'd dig the tone of the little cabinet. Two are a hoot. They are getting rolled into gigs starting in November when we come out of fall break.

I've been thinking about the safety aspect. Got a few ideas on how to latch a pair together and construct a base to make 'em butt proof. Fortunately, playing a Barker keeps me out of those worries.

We need to get Emblymouse over to our side of town and get his Bag Ends in the same room.

Jim

19. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I have a Ashdown 215, which is basically their selaed 810 but with two 15 inches drivers in it. Easy to transport since it has a tiltback wheels and a grab bar.

Sounds more focused and less boomy and harsh than a lot of the ported 215 I'ved used over the years. Very creamy altough it isn't close to flat to my ears (it favours the low mids heavily).

Seems like it a very, very rare cab though, as in a search on the internet doesn't yield much.

20. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    I didn't realize that 70 pounds was a heavy cabinet.
    My Mesa 2x15 is more than twice that.