Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where are all the Trace Elliot fanatics?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by numbskull, Dec 26, 2001.

1. numbskull

numbskull

Dec 26, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I've only seen two posts even mention Trace Elliot so far ...are they that unpopular, too expensive, not available, or what? I hear their V-series rocks! Whatdya think?

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think Trace fans went away with the Arsenio Hall show...just one of those things, I guess. Ask your guitar friends how long its been since they've seen someone playing an aluminium necked-Kramer!!! :)

3. Pre Gibson Trace Elliot rocks, I don't know about the new ones, and mmmm, all Gibson stuff are pretty much overpriced. 100 years history? Gibson was bought in 1985.

:D

4. i won't play anything but my trace rig...i've got a pre-gibson 1215 and 1153 extention cab and i can get any sound you want out of it when buyng a new bass i don't even worry about how it sounds because i know my baby can make even a rogue sound amazing

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have an old GP7 series 200 watt, love the thing. IMHO, they are really expensive.

6. yeah mine's the gp12 series...they're horribly expensive but i traded a half broken power amp for mine so i'm not complaining...then i got the cab on ebay for dirt cheap

7. Bassmouse3

Bassmouse3

Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    I've got one too!:D After playing my little BC Rich 30 watt practice amp for two and a half years, I finally decided to spend the dough on a good amp to go along with my basses so I got a really good deal on a used TE gp7 sm combo(280 watts) with a 15" speaker... And man do I love it! There's just so many different sounds in it, and I really dig the parametric eq too. It has made me a happy little camper!:D
    Best Regards, Bassmouse3

8. numbskull

numbskull

Dec 26, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I've got an AH3001-7 - its 250W GP7 and I love the flexibility and sound, but I'm thinking about trading it in for a RAH350-12SMX- 100W more, dual compressor, better inputs and outputs, 12-band EQ, for $500 + trade.Thats pretty expensive. I think it might even be pre-gibson, though...how do I find out?

9. well for the most part if it has diamond tolex it's pre-gibson most of the post-gibson trace stuff is carpeted

10. numbskull

numbskull

Dec 26, 2001
    Boston, MA
    its not carpeted, its a rackmount unit. I don't know what its made out of. How long have they been doing that Thumbs up thing?

11. I also had a 200w RAH SM7 and it was a great amp.The manual was the best I've ever seen,it really expained how to get the most out of it.Tonewise it was great but 200 watts just couldn't keep up so I had to sell it to get more power(Carvin R1000).My Trace was way easier to get a good tone with.Now if I just had the Trace preamp with the Carvin power ???

12. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I hear from a music retailer that pre/post Gibson shouldn't matter. Gibson is only the US distributor and doesn't own or design Trace amps.

True??

Tapp

13. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    anyone know how much I can fetch for my TE Commando? I want to sell it to some kid, but I have no idea what the thing is worth. It doesnt look like their new commando amps though, the front panel is kinda different. It doesnt say Commando 15; it just says Commando on it. But it has a 15" speaker in it. Whats the list price for this and how much should I ask for it?

By the way, there's not a scratch on it. Its in perfect condition.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I heard that too, more circumstantial evidence!!

15. numbskull

numbskull

Dec 26, 2001
    Boston, MA
    lo-end:

list price for a new Commando 15 is $750...but you can buy one for $400, so I figure you could sell yours for $300-$350.

I've got a call in to Gibson to try to find out if they are just the distributor for TE or if they own them, I'll let you know. I know TE has their own website, not part of Gibsons, tho.

16. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    I just bought a Trace Elliot GP 12X preamp at a local store used. This was my first preamp buy.

17. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Most of them are in the UK.

TE is UK made. Which may account for the higher price if you are not in the UK.

18. Trace Elliot production is being moved to the USA by Gibson, i found this out because i've got an amp in for service and the Trace guys are normally very quick, i phoned them after a week and they are not allowed to service or send anything out til everythings been finalised, but the people there seemed unsure as to their future:( .
    Oh by the way i've just bought a second hand V-Type 600h head and it's a thunder box, our geetarists have been complaining already :D but mine always was bigger than theirs anyways;)

19. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    i never liked trace elliot tone. i owned one back in 1995 and the only thing I liked about it was the black light! I use to stare at it at shows.hhahahahahahahaha. the cabs were ok. I had a 4x10 elliot cab. I bought everything used...it lasted for 4 months before I had GAS and got an Ampeg head.....

20. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a V4 head. Like the sound hate the weight.