Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where are my fellow jam-band fans?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whatsaMcGee, Apr 24, 2003.

1. a good portion of the people on here play punk, hard rock, or other more mainstream styles of music. what about my fellow deadheads and phans? let me hear from you if your in my boat. also please list your top 5 from jambands

5. string cheese incident
    4. lotus
    3. phish
    2. dead
    1. umphrey's mcgee (midwest-based band, but getting bigger every day. if you havent heard of them - seriously check em out)

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Jam band find right here! My top five:

5. String Cheese Incident
    4. moe.
    3. Widespread Panic
    2. Dead
    1. Phish

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Yea, those guys are all good... I'm really digging OAR right now. Have you heard of them? Anybody heard of Dispatch? Both great bands, though a bit under the radar... (ironically the title of Dispatch's DVD).

4. 5. String Cheese Incident
    3. Dave Matthews
    3. Slightly Stoopid
    2. Phish
    1. Dispatch

5. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    i listen to some jambands, im just startin to listen to em more, i'm only seventeen though. All things claypool i love, phish is excellent, and ive recently stubled upon my dad's old greatful dead vinyl.

6. im 16 :D

7. There was an amazing jam band named Llama who were from the Nashville area. They broke up about a month ago, though. :bawl:

8. jam band fan right here!
    i love moe. (seen 'em twice) and phish and i like what i've heard from string cheese incident and widespread panic.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know if you can really call me a jam band fan because I do NOT enjoy The Dead or Phish and my dislike of DMB verges on loathing (not really but I just think they're WAY overrated).

However I really dig some bands in that genre.

Medeski Martin and Wood has been one of my favorites for probably about 7 years.
    Bela Fleck and the Flecktones for about 10.
    I also enjoy
    Galactic
    Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
    Peppershaker
    All Claypool's jam projects - wish Les' Bucket O' Bernie Brains would record an album
    Ben Harper
    etc...

So...I don't know if you'd really call me a jam fan...I prefer music fan since I listen to a ton of other stuff too.

brad cook

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i really, really, really dislike your average, typical jam band. in my mind, there's nothing worse than hearing a guitar player blow over one chord change for 20 minutes. i've seen umphreys a few times, and honestly thought they were pretty weak. string cheese, widespread panic, greatful dead, phish...all weak.

after playing jazz music for most of my life, and playing regularly with people in madison that are 100x the musicians that those who profess to jam are, i don't see what the big deal is.

however, i guess plenty of people do. and i don't get it. why is it that most of the bands that i consider on another level get no respect, but a band that plays weak, unexciting stuff with silly lyrics gets all the hippies dancing? is it the name? the look? the pot?

[/rant]

11. I saw Umphrey's McGee maybe a year and a half ago. (I had no idea who they were and for some reason thought they were a funk band.) I'm not a fan of rediculously long, pointless (and consecutive, with multiple players) guitar solos.

STI came to Purdue this evening, but I had no money or time so I didn't check it out. I don't know anything about them, either.

I saw MMW last week. I like them to some extent, though I can only take so much completely free stuff.

I like Claypool's stuff, but he doesn't really solo well. Oysterhead was fun.

Galactic rules. That's the stuff.

DMB- I like their drummer. But why is Dave worshipped the way he is? His music is...okay, not too interesting, and his fans creep me out.

I too, along with Jason, would like to know the appeal of many of these bands. I'll keep my thoughts to myself on that matter.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I am all about jam bands... whenever my band gets sick of rehearsing, we become the shoddiest littel jam band in Denver! :D Great fun! All the stuff mentioned so far is some Grade A listening. I'm in love with Oysterhead right now...

13. DUDE!!!! SLIGHTLY STOOPID!!!! Omg I love those guys but I cant find a single CD or MP3 of them. My brother once brought home a cd of them And I loved it, but then he went back to college and I searched far and wide to find any of there stuff but I came out with nothing. How did you get there stuff. You will be the greatest help ever if you can help. Peace

14. I dont know about that good portion of ppl playing punk, hard rock or other "mainstream" type music. Alot, if not the majority, Listen to Jazz and all its sub-categories and other out there kinda music.

P.S- Oh yea, last time I checked Phish and the Greatful dead are pretty well known, about as mainstream as you can get.

15. I love Jam Bands. My band is heavily influenced by Phish. I can't wait to see my fellow phans this summer on the Phish tour!

16. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm a huge Phish fan, huge Dave Matthews fan. Have any of you heard of Particle?

17. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    anyone who says micheal kang's solos (string cheese electric mandolinist) are "weak" and "not exicting" has never seem him perform live.

the phrasing of micheal kang, and with trey, is among some of the best i've heard.

18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Not meaning to ignite anything but debate but the Turm "jam band" is Just about the most loostly defined genre Ive ever seen. It seems to be defined more by the fans than the style of music the band happens to play. i mean if the fans enbrace you you get classified in there no matter what you play!

AJ

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I like Garaj Mahal. I guess they sorta are a jam band.

Not really a jam band guy.

20. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Joshua Redmans Elastic band

John Scofield

Medeski Martin and wood

Femi Kuti

Pfunk

James Brown

AJ