Where are the 1967 Fenders????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Sep 18, 2006.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I've started searching around the 'net looking for a 1967 Fender, either a jazz or precision. Can't seem to find anything out there... Why is that? Was '67 a transition year into CBS and did production drop off? Plenty of '66 basses out there, but very hard to find a '67, at least in my limited experience.

2. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Call Rudy's on 48th in NYC, he had a 67 Jazz for sale....

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    1967 never really existed. It was more of a 'void' in time.

;)

Once the search function is up and running again, search 1967 fender. I recall seeing something about a '67 bass.

-Mark

4. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    now that you mention it you dont really see that many 67s about, was it not such a great year for the fender bass?

Dave

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I had a '67 Jazz I sold private party a couple years back. I think production date was January of that year. I have been told that '67 is thin when trying to find one.

Rob

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    CBS went full bore making as many as they could in 1966 they had so may out there still unsold, so they had to really scale back production...alot.

Nothing transitional, a '67 is exactly the same as a '66 in all the details. They are out there, but no where near as plentiful as '66s.

7. TB's Andy Svec has a '67 Precision for sale. Sunburst/rosewood. All original and a real tone machine. Oval tuners too!

PM him!

8. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I guess it makes sense that the huge numbers of '66 instruments makes the '67 production run smaller. It's kinda a sentimental thing for me, looking for a '67 since that's the year I entered the world. Hambone, thanks for the pointer to the bass Andy has for sale. I'll drop him a PM.

9. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Dang it, Andy decided to keep his '67 P bass. Who would have thought that '67 Fenders are such a rare beast?

10. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Right on.
    Fender's production was high in 1966.
    I've only played one 1967 jazz bass.
    And have never seen a 1967 P-Bass in person.
    On the good side, there are a lot of 1966 fenders out there.

11. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I hear you. I pulled the trigger on a '65 J a while back. Missed my 'born-on' date by two months.:)

12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I came across and pulled the trigger on a one-owner '66 J a couple of months ago. I don't ever recall seeing a '67 (but then again I wasn't looking that specifically).

13. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Some fender years just don't seem to exist, 71, 73, and 76 also come to mind. Lots of 70, 72s and 75s, but few of the others.

14. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

yeah, sorry. Actually my 67 was with hambone for a while and he was shopping it for me last year but there just wasn't a lot of interest at the time at the price we were looking at. I got it back and put some TI flats on it and the rest is history, keeping it until I'm desperate for cash again ;) If I change my mind I'll drop you a line.
    [​IMG]

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021