Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where are the 2x12 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superfly, Sep 5, 2004.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm thinking of getting a 2x12 cabinet as a "lone" cabinet along with a SWR 2004 head. It seems that 2x12 cabs are non existent from major companies like Fender and Peavey and swr. Are 2x12 cabs something I should stay away from?
    Or as I read somewhere, they are a perfect medium between the 10" and 15" cabs?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    swr does make a 2x12 and a 4x12

I'm waiting on my Schroeder 2x12 cabinet to go with me 1x12+1x10 cab. BagEnd makes a 2x12... Aggie, lots of others. if you want cheap Avatar has a nice standard 2x12 box.

I've been sold on 12" drivers for bass since the mid 80's.

3. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    !2's are more of a special order item. I had to order my Aguilar GS 412, but it was well worth the wait. Most retailers only carry what they can move quickly. 10's and 15's are the best sellers therefore, that is what they will carry. Don't worry though, you can easily get a 212. You just have to order it. Places like Bass Central, Musicians Friend, Musicians Buy....all carry cabinets withh 12's. I would try Bass Central first. They are a great bunch of people to deal with.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Bag End makes a nice one, check out the D12-D.

5. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    Give the Genz-Benz NEOX212 a try. It weighs 68 lbs. and has a tilt-back caster setup. The deep lows are very good, and it is tight and well-balanced in general. I tried an Aggie 212; in my opinion, the Genz-Benz handles the low B much better, and is louder and tighter in general.

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Gallien-Krueger has a new 2x12 out along with a 1x12 and a 4x12

7. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. Yes, I did find the 2x12 swr on their website.
    Another question........
    what about a 1x12 Aguilar with a swr 2004 head. Would this be sufficient for a medium volume church gig?

8. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    :oops: :hyper: :) I need some info,,, it's not on the website....

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mesa/Boogie just announced a 2x12 and a 4x12, as well. We should have them hitting stores sometime this fall (hopefully).

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think we should cut to the chase and start calling them "two foot cabs"

11. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Go to riksmusic.com they have the info and pics on their website....

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I'll take your avatar and aggie and raise you one Schroeder

[​IMG]

(ok it's a 1210... but the same box as the 2x12)

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Probably not without some PA support. GS 112's aren't that efficient IMO. They like more power and don't have a very pronounced midrange so they don't cut much.

14. I wouldn't trade my 1210 for ANY 212. :bassist: (not even the Schroeder... but the 212 and 1210 together... that oughta KILL!!!)

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

:smug: I'm hoping for the imploding of the sick and the young :bassist:
    well not REALLY... but I would like to knock the wind out of a fan or 2
    :cool:

I'm planning to try it first with the 1212 on top of the 1210... keep the 10" coupled to the floor! I'll be putting 450 watts into each cabinet

16. I hoping to knock more than the wind out when I couple the 1210 with the 21012.
    :D

17. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    The older epifani (side by side) 212 is one of the best cabs Ive ever played. Loud and great tone.

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC