Where are the Bass shops in London????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fret-less Six, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Hey guys...Im in london for the next few days...Im wondering where all the good shops to go are...Im gonna be here for another four days or so...I heard that Denmark place/road? was good but I dunno where that is...Im at the Holiday in at kings cross...if you guys could gimme info that would be great
  2. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Denmark St. is definitely worth visiting. There used to be a ton of publishers and rehearsal rooms there in the 60's and trhere are still some great stores there. Further down Shaftsbury Ave. is the the Sola Sound shop that sells the completely deadly Sola Sound (ne' Couloursound) Tonebender fuzz pedal. Thye do a great bass fuzz, I wish I had bought one when I was there a few months ago (on toiur at the time, no dough for fuzz pedals).

If you're in that neighborhood, pop up to Wardour St. and have a drink at the Ship. It's just a regular pub, but was quite a musician hangout in the days when the Marquee club was a few doors down. Keith Moon still has a tab there, I believe.

Advice: don't let any scantily clad women in Soho talk you into entering a club for "just 5 pounds, naked ladies, no tipping". There's a "hostess charge" inside and a bunch of big, ugly dudes to collect it. If you find yourself being chased by said geezers, nip through Soho square and you can catch a glimpse of Paul McCartney's office as you slide into a narrow alley and duck behind a trash bin.

I've heard.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    www.thebassgallery.co.uk / .com i dont remember.

Be prepared to press the buzzer and let them look you up and down before they let you in ;)
  4. Zeppelina21

Dec 30, 2004
    London UK
  5. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    It may be well out of your way, but there is Andertons in Guildford Surry which is a veyr nice shop! Andertons
  6. Excellent shop I live about 3 miles away from it. Their bass department is really expanding now stocking, Eden and trying to get some EBS. They even had some phil jones in there!
  7. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
  8. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I think there's a "hostess fee" in there as well. Be careful
  9. The only two in London worth a shout are

The Bass Gallery [my personal favorite] and

The Bass Centre.

You already have the links so I will not repost them. Of the two the Bass Gallery has a wider selection and of course they make the world class Sei bass. You do have to buzz to get in but that is because the people running the shop work in the basement and so have the door locked for security.

Both Martin the owner and maker of Sei basses and Alex who runs the shop are very friendly and helpful. Say hi to them for me if you so go there.

I have attached a photo of my Sei to give you an idea of what Martin makes.

Have fun

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the Bass Centre is the best place to visit - quite close to Liverpool St. Station and usually has the best stock of basses and best customer service. The Gallery is close, but they don't tend to have such a good range of basses and amps and I think they are further out of the centre and are more difficult to find - I always get lost!!

Denmark St. is good for books, music, CDs etc. - but usually poor for actual basses and the Bass Cellar has by far the worst customer service and attitude! :meh:
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this is a bit of an out-dated or what I would call "parochial" view of Soho...;)

Soho is a great area to walk around and has nice squares, relaxed atmosphere and some really good restaurants/clubs with good Jazz, for example.

I'd always much rather walk though Soho than along Oxford Street - which is hugely over-crowded and full of tat! Soho has much nicer small shops and great squares, where you can sit and relax - the heyday of the Sex industry is long-gone and it is an up-market and very civilised place, which is one of the least threatening parts of London - you are far more likely to get your pocket picked in any of the crowded tourist traps - like Picadilly Circus, Covent Garden etc.!!
  12. definitely take an A-Z to find the Bass Centre in Brune St- there's a maze of backstreets there.

also there's Sound Control in the basement of the Virgin megastore in Oxford street opposite Tottenham Ct. road tube-
    some nice gear there, but it's a nightmare trying out anything amongst the noise of everyone else, and the staff aren't very knowledgable.